Hello, sort anoob here

hello ladies and gents!
I’ve been kind of lurking around.
I love this site! thanks for having me :slight_smile:

Welcome! I hope you enjoy using Panda3D!

Here’s an unusual request: would you mind replying to this post to prove that you are, in fact, a real human, and not a spambot?

We have a lot of spambots that are making what appear to be innocuous posts to the forum. They’re usually innocent-sounding posts, but one giveaway is that they don’t mention anything specific about Panda or 3-D graphics (because these are posts made by spambots that are designed to sound innocent on any board.)

Usually, these posts contain secretly embedded links to sites of questionable repute. Presumably the spambot writers are hoping to drive up their sites’ Google ranking by flooding the forums of the world with bogus messages that link back to their sites.

I don’t see any hidden links in your post, but maybe I’m not smart enough to see them.

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience!

David

No offending links found in the text - but yea… a short reply would be fine…
Spam-Bots are really getting annoying lately… :confused:

Regards, Bigfoot29

A couple months ago, the real human members are about 700-800, and now the bots are just the same amount !
How about the next couple months ?

Thats not correct. We have had 800 members from which 350 never posted a single word (bots). In the other release of the Panda forums I was able to not-show them…
But you are right, we doubled the member count within a few months. :frowning:
I guess we have something around 550-600 real registered members.

However, I am sorry to say that: I can’t do much against it. :cry:

Regards, Bigfoot29

How if you add 1 rule :
every new member must post some words within very few days (2 or less) since signing up ? Just to eliminate zero-post members, because that’s the forum created for, exchanging things…
So, if there is no post during the interval, member account will be terminated automatically.
At this time, the CAPTCHA image is too simple.

It’s just a shame this happens to happen at all. Does anybody really ever buy anything from a link they find from a spambot anyway? I would never ever buy something from a link like this just in spite… but I guess I realize what it is, others may not.

the problem is that most bots drop a post in the first 2 days^^. you’r right… it would get rid of the zero-posters but most bots sign up because they do post.

at this point we are back to the “how to prevent bots from sign up”… sadly

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Aha…ha…ha…, this can be a real joke !
The most bots post within 2 days ?
While the real human post the 1st word more than a week :
recent member : tokingmonkey
1st post : Oct 19, 2006

Hi everyone! I’m an example of someone who joined a few days ago, but didn’t intend to post anything in the near future. I’ve been checking out a few different engines, and joined the forums of ones that looked promising so that, if and when I did want to post I’d be all set to go.

I’m a bit of a habitual lurker in lots of forums, mostly these days in game-engine-related ones. I am hoping to play around with Panda at some point, but depending on my ever-shifting moods that could be tomorrow or 5 months from now.

In any case, nice to meet you all!

:confused:

Hi there Karmamule,

Nice to have you aboard!

At least you mentioned something about Panda and games. That first post in this thread is a bot though. I’ve seen the exact same name and post on another game website that also uses PHP. Go figure!

Steve

Hey there SM3 et al, thanks for the welcome!

It really is sad how pervasive spam, spambots etc are these days. Interesting that someone has decided to target gaming sites. Come to mention it, when reviewing my spam messages for the last few weeks I’ve noticed that some are trying to get attention via game dev-related topics for the subject, so I’m guessing it’s not unrelated…

:::sigh::::