Gui Engine

Hello…

I´m wondering if some of you knows about a Gui Engine called Unity 3D, seems to read in somewhere that panda 1.7.0 will have some class of gui.
may be?.

If someone knows this engine, can explain me the differences or a site where to find it… what do you think…

maybe… because panda already has no less than 20 classes directly related to GUI’s buildin… i wonder why you would ask for moar except because of MOAR?

Hehe, Unity3D is a 3D game engine, (not a gui engine) one of Panda’s competitors. Maybe you’re confused by the fact that Panda 1.7.0 has Browser support and iPhone support, features that Unity has also gained recently.

yes, i´d like mean game engine based on gui, i saw one day in showcase someone is working on a gui… but i know for sure misunderstood…

A graphical editor to create scenes that can be loaded into the 3D engine? Well, an editor for Panda3D is in the works and will maybe even completely finished by Panda3D 1.8.0. (I can’t say for sure though, I’m just guessing)

Now that Unity has been brought up, I was wondering if Panda forums are the correct place to ask the following question:

How does Unity3D compares to Panda3D?

I’ve been using Panda for a little more than a month now, and I’m amazed to see how easily you can program things using this engine. I’ve heard the same commentaries about Unity3D, so I was wondering if anyone has experience with it.

I choose Panda3D mainly because I love Python and because of the prestige of the institutions that use it. Also, Jesse Schell kind of mentions it, in his great book “The Art of Game Design”.

Cheers!

It does seem like a bit of a thread hijack, but maybe not, since I’m not entirely sure what the OP was asking. :slight_smile:

Here’s my take: Unity provides a really amazing art pipeline, and an adequate programming API. Panda provides the opposite: a really amazing programming API, and an adequate art pipeline. So, whichever one of them looks better to you will depend on whether you’re looking at it from an artist’s point of view, or from a programmer’s.

(That being said, there’s a project underway to add a really amazing art pipeline to Panda. It’s a big project, though.)

Also, Panda is free, in both senses of the word. Unity is closed-source and fee-based. There are pros and cons with both approaches: if you’re a major corporation, you might feel better doing business with Unity, since you have some financial leverage to make them solve your problems. If you’re an individual or a small company, you might be better off with Panda, since you have the source code and thus full control over your own destiny, if you need to take it.

David

What does OP means? (Sorry I’m not a native speaker).

Great then, I’m inside the group of people that you recommend to be using Panda. I’m an individual, a programmer and game designer, and definitely not an artist. I love Python and it seems that Panda3D will allow me to prototype and test my game ideas quickly!

Thanks David for your reply!

Original Poster

is that… just a tool or something helping you to place objects in realtime and skip every time you are adding something restart the code execution.

So panda is more intended to programers, yes, that’s true, but i´m not a programer, and like so i use panda because easy form of work, by the way, unity is great by artist side but is a bit hard too with scripts, either python is not supported (one of the easiest languages), just c#, javascript, boo…so turns a “bit” hard. Both engines are meshed in skills, Panda must to program an easy language, Unity has graphical interface with a bit hard scripts to write (logically for non programmers).

I’d like to chime in about Unity vs Panda 3d. I would disagree that the scripting is at all difficult in Unity 3d. In fact, the javascript and C# provide an untyped and strict typed environment that can interoperate seamlessly. Unity can also easily call DLL’s and other OSX Bundles. Having worked with both, I would say that Unity gives you more up front than Panda 3D. For example, importing a model and creating a ragdoll is as simple as drag and drop and clicking through a wizard. Physics is built in and as simple as a couple of clicks. And, Unity is not exactly fee based. The Indy version is free and comes with a 90 day trial of the Pro version. Either one can produce Windows, OSX or Web executable from either OSX or Windows with the click of a button. iPhone applications can be easily ported into their dedicated Unity Advance application. Some shader limitations and lack of terrain generation are the major difference. Unity Advance is not free and more appropriate for a commercial outfit. Unity will not be on Linux any time soon due to revenue limitations. (not affiliated)

Panda’s manual - specially the C++ section lags very much compared to unity’s vast tutorials.