Get This!!! PyPE (Python Programmers Editor) It's FREE!!!!

Hi Folks,

Sorry for the silly subject title, but I wanted to get your attention :smiley:. Anyway, for the past few weeks I’ve been writing all my python scripts in ‘Notepad’ :unamused:. Then a couple of days ago, I discovered PyPE. All I can say is WOW!

This editor is so much easier to use than Notepad. Trust me on this, if you’re using Notepad to write your scripts, then download this little beauty today and your life will be so much better :laughing:.

It’s completely free! And you can download it from here: sourceforge.net/projects/pype

I’m using version 1.9.3.0 and it’s just terrific. I honestly don’t think that I could have done some of the harder tutorials without it. I heartily recommend it :smiley:.

Cheers

I use Boa Constructor as it has a built in debugger and wxPython GUI designer.

I also use Boa Constructor. I have tried almost every other option out there as of recently and am glad to have found Boa. It is the most complete python IDE I have seen and acts like visual studio. Easily design forms and handle events on the controls by selecting them from a grouped list. The only drawback is the lack of integrated help for all of the WX event class methods which can be found through Google easy enough. The best feature is the coherent structure of the generated module source which allows Boa to reload a project from the source only and not extra project files. Adding code to generated modules is easy unless you modify the generated code. Don’t do that, use the property editor until you learn all of the few places certain properties should be changed to allow Boa to understand the changes.

well, since we’re talking about editors…

i can heartily recommend notepad++ on windows. it’s a nice, lightweight editor, it’s easy to script, supports code folds, syntax coloring, and tabbed documents. it has a nice search and replace including regex, and it’s simple to record macros. it has no built in debugger, but you could probably write a script to support it. i just haven’t gotten around to it yet because i use it as my python editor and i have yet to want to debug any python code (which speaks volumes for how good python is, but i digress). best of all it takes a fraction of a second to open and close, something that i can’t say about any IDE i’ve used.

on linux i use gedit. it’s not as nice as notepad++, but it has syntax coloring and it’s also simple to script. my big concerns with editors is that they support syntax coloring, they are light weight and not intrusive, and i can run with a push of a button. gedit and notpad++ meet these criteria.

both are also free.

i really can’t recommend notepad++ enough. even if you really need an IDE for python, i’d still say you should get notepad++, because it is a really great editor.

vi

Ah, the everlasting topic of text editors, once again :slight_smile:

Well, the Real Programmer must be careful to pick one that reflects his personal style. Some good editors are shown in the above post, with “ed” certainly being the most enigmatic.

The problem with these editors is that Real Programmers consider “what you see is what you get” to be just as bad a concept in Text Editors as it is in Women. No, the Real Programmer wants a “you asked for it, you got it” text editor-- complicated, cryptic, powerful, unforgiving, dangerous. TECO, to be precise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_Editor_and_Corrector
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/real.programmers.html

enn0x

TECO… wow what a blast from the past. I used that to write code for RT-11.

That sucker had such a powerful macro capability, I wrote a 6800 assembler for a college class in TECO macro.

I used IDLE for quite a time, but now I’m in emacs.