GeForce4 MX 440 - no shaders (???)

launching each Panda sample related to the use of shaders, i see:

but I know from Nvidia specifics, that my Geffo4 MX 440 got

so my question is: from where this problem come out, my FC4 or Panda or what?

The GeForce 2 was “programmable” in that it had some very weird circuitry that you could configure in a variety of interesting ways. It was pretty cool at the time – it could do some interesting things, but to make it work, you had to study the chip layout, and ask “how do I get these circuits to do what I want?” It was not a straightforward process, although it was a lot of fun to play with at the time. My first game, “A Tale in the Desert,” used the GeForce 2’s circuits to do bump-mapping with specular highlights. To pull that off, I spent something like two weeks trying to figure out how to save one math operation.

Anyhow, the GeForce 3 and 4 were much more powerful, although they still don’t support “shaders” in the modern sense of the word. The GeForce FX is the first nvidia card that has modern shaders.

The GeForce 4 MX is a marketing abomination. It’s not a GeForce 4 at all: it’s got the same chip as the GeForce 2.

WOOOSSHHHHH (sound of a Geffo4 going down the drain)

this explain the cheapo price
Well, it’s time to go to buy a more serious card
thank you for your prompt reply!

Also stay away from the GeForce FX 5200. That card does shaders, but it does them so painfully slowly that it’s almost useless.

If you’re on a tight budget, I’d recommend a radeon x300. That’s what I use, and it’s fine.

Don’t I know it. I bought it because it was cheap and it’s a piece of crap. I would have something better, but I bought my computer right before PCI-E debuted.

well, if you mean, i.e., “Elders Scrolls Oblivion don’t runs smooth with it” this is not an issue for me cos i’ve also got a radeon 9800 pro on my 2nd expensive windows PC but my means with Panda are to build free games for kids on Linux with mid-end (read ‘poor’) powered PCs so i guess that the Josh advice fit good for me.
thank you both!

Hi all,

reading this I have to share m own experience.

When I downloaded the new release (1.2.0) I tried the " fireflies" tutorial (deffered shading) and it told me that “Advanced Shaders not supported” and I have an ATI Radeon X700 on my laptop… so, to get the most out of shaders you need at least an ATI X1800 I think… (don’t know about GeForce cards though…

greets,

Miel

No, something’s wrong. An X700 should support shaders.

Maybe you don’t have the drivers installed?

Well, it does support “basic shaders” (volume shadows, my own HDR implementation, Phong shading and so forth) but it doesn’t seem to support the Fireflies demo in panda-1.2.0 (deffered shading with multiple render targets)

So… I dunno,

Miel

Ah, in that case, I think I understand.

ATI Catalyst driver version 5.x doesn’t include support for the OpenGL extension EXT_framebuffer_object. To get that feature, you need to upgrade to Catalyst version 6.x.

• Josh

:smiley:

perfect, thanks. I’ll update immediately.

Hi everyone,
I just started using panda and it is like the easiest engine to use.I am also having rtouble with the fireflies demo.it says somthing like “video driver does not support multiple rendering targets” and the toon shader demo doesn’t work either.I have Geforce 6200 in my machine running ubuntu-breezy.
thanks.