Fully Customizable UI System

Hello everyone,
I’ve been working on an RPG game for a while, and I’ve tried many different game engines and frameworks so far. I’ve known Panda for the last few months and, although my first impressions were great, I’ve encountered many difficulties on the C++ side. That’s why I completely quit and turned to other game engines.

But I realized that I couldn’t be as free as Panda in any of them, and that’s why I chose to work with Panda again. And I’ve been struggling with the UI part of C++ for a few days.
Although I’m trying to understand PGUI, I don’t think it will be enough for a project with a large UI part, such as an RPG. (Lots of different windows, inventory, hud etc… like this)

I’m researching different frameworks and libraries, and I wanted to ask you about this topic. Do you think it is possible to have a fully customizable UI system like the one in the picture I gave? What do you think is the best option for this?

Thanks,
Kindest regards

1 Like

I think LUI (lightweight user interface) for Panda3D by tobspr should be a good choice, I am also planning to use it in one of my projects, sample programs are in python but you would be able to translate them to C++ without much hassle.

1 Like

Your question cannot be answered unequivocally. It depends on how persistently you will create your interface in exact accordance with the specified example.

But I can give an example of another demonstration from the user tobspr:

As you can see in the video, the built-in interface in panda DirectGUI was used, but along with it you can use wxWidgets, or integrate some highly specialized GUI library, in general, it depends how far you are ready to go.

There are different ways and approaches to achieve the desired result, I decided to create my own graphics system based on a buffer with a color indicator, at the moment I am not limited by anything, only by fantasies.

2 Likes

Thank you, im checking LUI but i could not make it work yet. I can build it and get lui.pyd but when i try to run any demo in ‘Demos’ folder, it giving an import error;

>> python 01_MinimalExample.py
from panda3d.lui import LUIObject as _LUIObject
ImportError: DLL load failed while importing lui: Belirtilen modül bulunamadı. (Can't find module!)

Im still trying to fix it. If you face the same problem or if you can run it successfully, please let me know.

Thanks, wow, I didn’t know DIRECTGUI was capable of doing this. However, I can’t use DirectGUI when using C++. Panda has only PGUI on the c++ side.

I would love to do this too, but I don’t even know where to start. I think I don’t have enough knowledge and experience to do this right now. But I will try to find out, and if one day I can make a nice UI system, I will share it on the forum, I want to do it for everyone who uses C++ :slight_smile: