[Free model] Pre christmas free model

Hey there!

I was doing head study and wanted to try out sculptris => xnormal => panda3D export, so the model is far from perfect, there are a lot of errors, but it is free, maybe you can find a use to it in your applications.

I can’t get the normal map to display correctly in Panda, I’ve put the .obj so you can try to make one if you want.

File (check for viruses!) :
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mska7q
Dropbox :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13388237/Panda3D/Head.zip

Xnormal preview :

Panda with diffuse / no light :

Panda with shadows / no normal map :

PS: I think the panda scene will be finished for christmas.

Thanks fo share. You have talent.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but would you be interested in remaking some of the models which come with Panda?
I think some forum members even offered to pay for that.

Hello,

the panda scene you see in the fur thread of code snippets section of the forums will be ready by the end of christmas I hope; I had some stability problems with my personal computer so it has been delayed :frowning:

Also, I’m preparing some video tutorials on panda3D(non free) for a french tutorial website, but I can release the “models” for free.

The first project of the tutorials is a solar system, but very simplified compared to the panda samples code, however I tried to get a good looking earth without custom shaders, just by using panda3D basic tools, I’ve post a video preview here :

http://youtu.be/KUXg-Bgqvos
The video has a lot of artifacts due to compression, it looks like there is a weird normal mapping on the clouds but there isn’t in the real scene !

The earth is using nasa textures and 4 globes :

• earth diffuse,
  • the blue glow thing which is oriented toward sun,
  • the clouds layer which rotates,
  • a fog layer wich rotates faster (wrong physically but I found it was good looking) to add some depth.

I can post the models when it will be ready if you are interested.

I was planning to make a project like the ball-in-maze panda3D sample, but it was over complicated for a first tutorial (the video are for non-programming people…), maybe the model can be interesting for you as well, I think it still needs some work :

The panda model is awesome.
I meant a replacement for existing models though, which are low poly, and don’t use any shaders or the auto shader.
Like the Roaming Ralph terrain looks terrible (I don’t want to hurt the person’s feeling who did it, it’s just my opinion).
The rest seem fine. Except Ralph’s design seems a bit weird.
And there’s something wrong with the Nik dragon model.

How does your Panda model look like with only color texture?

Good luck with your videos. Too bad it’s only in french.

Thanks,

the problem with the panda model is it was made for use with fur, so the relative sizes of head and other parts of body are wrong without the fur shader; I mean the thickness of the fur varies a lot, especially on the head, I don’t know if you understand what I write, my english is kinda bad.

And there will be no walking animation like in the original panda scene, the panda will only sit there and watch the environment.

I don’t think the panda scene can replace the original one, because it is using a lot of custom shaders, but maybe the non-shaders scene will be acceptable, can’t say before it is finalized !

Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

I took a look at your website, Manou, and I must say I’m very impressed. The lion was jaw dropping.

I was kind of worried recently that you’ve decided to abandon Panda :wink:. I’m glad that’s not the case.

Can’t wait to see the final results of your Panda work.