Finding models for panda3d

This is a quick question but does anyone know where to find free models that can be used for my panda3d project? And if so do I need to convert it or something? I really have no other experience with models other than the default panda models, so it would greatly help if you could put your suggestions below.

Thank you!

EDIT: I just remembered that I specifically wanted a tree model if anyone has a download link they could provide it would be great! Thanks!

I have a few, available here:

If I recall correctly, @wezu has some as well, found here:

There may be others floating around, too–perhaps search the forum, if you haven’t already!

Otherwise, I think that Panda can load obj files, although I’ve not done it myself. You may be able to find freeware/royalty-free obj-models somewhere.

Thanks I’ll look into it! :face_with_monocle::smile:

EDIT: I just remembered that I specifically wanted a tree model, if you don’t mind could you leave a source that has one?

Thanks again for your time🙏

1 Like

I’ve linked to all of the freeware models that I have to hand, I’m afraid. As noted, you may find more if you search around!

Alrighty then! Thanks anyways and happy coding!:smile:

1 Like

Here are some more resources:

• OpenGameArt - Free assets with a variety of open licenses
  • itch.io - Has game assets under various licenses, some free some paid
  • blendswap - Various files for Blender (can be loaded/converted via blend2bam), not sure how many are good for games

Would I have to convert it in any way?

Thanks!

You are unlikely to find EGG files on any of those three sites and certainly not BAM files. Between Assimp, panda3d-gltf and blend2bam, Panda3D can load quite a few file types (especially for static assets).

Sorry could you tell me what type of file types panda3d can support?

There is also https://sketchfab.com/ which hosts many models in the .gltf format, which can be read after installing this plug-in:
https://github.com/Moguri/panda3d-gltf

Ok thanks will look into it!

I’m facing a problem when I tried to load the .gltf model

full traceback:

Known pipe types:
  CocoaGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
2019-12-08 19:38:24.994 Python[12664:338229] ApplePersistenceIgnoreState: Existing state will not be touched. New state will be written to (null)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/38167/PycharmProjects/viren/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gltf/converter.py", line 1243, in load_model
    convert(file_path, bamfilepath, gltf_settings)
  File "/Users/38167/PycharmProjects/viren/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gltf/converter.py", line 1228, in convert
    converter.update(gltf_data, writing_bam=True)
  File "/Users/38167/PycharmProjects/viren/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gltf/converter.py", line 123, in update
    self.load_buffer(buffid, gltf_buffer)
  File "/Users/38167/PycharmProjects/viren/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gltf/converter.py", line 376, in load_buffer
    with open(buff_fname, 'rb') as buff_file:
  File "/Users/38167/PycharmProjects/viren/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/direct/stdpy/file.py", line 99, in open
    raise FileNotFoundError("No such file or directory: '%s'" % (filename))
FileNotFoundError: No such file or directory: '/Developer/Panda3D/models/scene.bin'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/Users/38167/PycharmProjects/viren/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gltf/loader.py", line 21, in load_file
    options=options
  File "/Users/38167/PycharmProjects/viren/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gltf/converter.py", line 1249, in load_model
    raise RuntimeError("Failed to convert glTF file")
RuntimeError: Failed to convert glTF file
:loader(error): Loading scene.gltf failed with RuntimeError exception.
:loader(error): Couldn't load file /Developer/Panda3D/models/scene.gltf: invalid.
  File "/Users/38167/PycharmProjects/viren/scene.py", line 162, in <module>
    app = MyApp()
  File "/Users/38167/PycharmProjects/viren/scene.py", line 71, in __init__
    self.plant = Actor("/Developer/Panda3D/models/scene.gltf")
  File "/Users/38167/PycharmProjects/viren/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/direct/actor/Actor.py", line 290, in __init__
    self.loadModel(models, copy = copy, okMissing = okMissing)
  File "/Users/38167/PycharmProjects/viren/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/direct/actor/Actor.py", line 1900, in loadModel
    raise IOError("Could not load Actor model %s" % (modelPath))
OSError: Could not load Actor model /Developer/Panda3D/models/scene.gltf

Even though I installed panda3d-gltf, I’m so confused could you help me out?

Thanks!