Error MSB6006 "CL.exe" exited with code -1073741515.

Hello!

I am brand new to Panda3D. I am a recent Game and Sim programming graduate. I followed the instructions closely to installing and starting a new project. I am getting the following error in Visual Studio when I try to build:

Error MSB6006 “CL.exe” exited with code -1073741515. Panda3D C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Platforms\x64\Microsoft.Cpp.x64.Targets 146

this is after following the following section of the manual:
https://www.panda3d.org/manual/index.php?title=Running_your_Program&language=cxx

I searched Bing and Google and the forum here for this error code and found nothing.

STATS:
Panda3d 1.9.4 64x
Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise
Windows 10

Please include the compiler error messages. The message you included just indicated that a problem occurred. Are there other messages before this one?

It might be easier to grab the Python 3.5/3.6 builds of a development build of Panda 1.10 which are built natively with VS 2015.

Thank you for writing back,

No, this is the only error that appears in the error window. Only this one. I found on other forums that this is because VS15 is not backwards compatible with SDK7.1, and to use toolset V120_XP instead. I tried that but it comes up with:

Error LNK1181 cannot open input file ‘libp3framework.lib’ Panda3D_VS15 C:\Users\Jeremy\Documents\Homework\Practice Programs\Panda3D_VS15\Panda3D_VS15\LINK 1

And that is the only code that is in the error message.

I will look into 1.10, thanks

Don’t use v120_xp toolset, since it doesn’t match what Panda was built with. Only the WindowsSDK7.1 toolset will work if you are using a build of Panda 1.9. If you are using a Python 3 build of Panda 1.10, you can use the v140 or v140_xp toolset, so you could give that a try.

As for the linker error, that suggests that C:\Panda3D-1.9.4\lib wasn’t added to your library directories.

Thank you rdb for taking the time to respond and share your wisdom. I have no idea why, but my VS15 just doesnt like 7.1 toolset. Maybe I didnt install it correctly, or maybe there was something else I needed to install and havent. I was able to narrow it down to VS by the following steps:

(1) started with an empty console project
(2) set toolset to 7.1SDK
(3) wrote int main() {return 0;}
(4) set from debug to release

results were the same “-1073741515” compiler error. Thus isolating the problem to my setup. I just have no idea what I would have to do to fix it.

As for the linker error, I double checked it, and it indeed was added to the list correctly. My theory is that since that lib file was not compatible with V120_XP, it couldnt be read therefore saying the file could not be found???

HOWEVER, I did install both the x86 and x64 versions of Panda 1.10 and it is working fine so far. I am actually currently on the “Camera Control” chapter of the manual.

I still welcome any and all input, I am always willing to learn something.