*.egg file are extremely large while exporting from blender

Hello guys,
I have a simulation program and I want to have some 3D models with Panda3D.
After I downloaded them from the internet and import them into the blender (using *.obj and *.fbx),
and then exporting it with *.egg, the file was very large (200 MB and higher), I think because the model has a lot of poly and vert, and with that size, it can’t be added to the program.

I tried blend2bam as well, I had a tree with 125 MB (*.fbx), I import it, and in the blender, the Mem are (500MB without textures) after adding the textures it becomes about (1.4 GB).
after that, I used blend2bam and the final *.bam file size was 500MB so large absolutely it can’t be added to the program.

My question is:
Is there any other way to do it, so I can have a realistic 3d model with small file size (*.egg or *.bam) doesn’t matter I only need to add realistic models with a small size?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm… Would glTF files work for you? If so, it might be worth trying that format and seeing whether it produces smaller files.

More generally, egg-files can be big, I’m afraid. When working on somewhat-complex levels I found that it helped to split them into sections–but that likely isn’t all that helpful in at least some of the cases that you’re dealing with.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!
I will try gITF since I think there are no more options to try.

What do you mean by splitting into sections?

1 Like

Essentially what I did was to export my levels in multiple parts–so, I might export the region from the start of the level to, say, a particular street as the first part, and the region from that street to some other point as the second part, and so on.

That way I ended up with multiple, smaller files that I could more-easily load.

1 Like

Actually it is a good point, but how you ended with regrouped them, do you have a tutorial so i can learn how to do like you did.

I think you mean having more than 1 bam file for a model.

I’m not quite sure of what you mean by this.

If you’re referring to loading them into my game, I simply… loaded the models, as far as I recall, and then parented them below a common NodePath.

For this particular topic, I’m afraid not.

That said, it’s simply a matter of selecting the relevant region of the level for export to a given section, and then exporting it. That is, when using YABEE–I don’t know how feasible it is with other tools.

More or less, indeed.

1 Like

I would like to add that I highly recommend cutting down the number of vertices as a model that has that many will drop performance very much. I recommend to use the Decimate modifier in blender to simplify the model before exporting. If you carefully tune the settings, you can greatly decrease the number of vertices without affecting visual quality.

I wouldn’t worry about vertex count so much, unless the model is animated it doesn’t have a huge effect on performance nowadays.

1 Like

In fact, the text files will be large, so they basically store a lot of duplicate definitions. For example, which texture belongs to a certain polygon, and so on.

But you can load fbx, bypassing the conversion. Assimp will do the job.

I found a model that weighs 4.43 MB in fbx format. However, after load in the panda cache folder, the model size is 486 kb.