Egg Converter

After dealing with discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=8361 I figured that, that was too tedious of a process to continue going through and I proceeded to make a GUI for us lazy window users. What this does is, instead of going to the command line every time you want to convert one your models, you just run this program, select the file and hit convert.

A few things I want to mention, this file assumes that Panda3D is installed in the default directory, and any other will cause it not to work. Also because I only knew of 3 converting file types [and I was running out of time] you can only convert 3 ways.

More will be added later

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/c07716e64d9bb042f7e51ba7b922c0e8b322613410b2df61c68aa3f88f48dd1c-1265933838 <- If you want to read the virus total report on the file.

Screenshot:

Download = http://tubutas.gotdns.com/EggConverter/EggConverter.exe

This works.
I think there are some parameters that you can add to the command-line tools, but other than that it’s faster.
What GUI toolkit did you use?

Toolkit? I made this from scratch with Visual Basic Express 2008.

[Edit]
If anyone tells me what the args are for, and what other filetype conversions there are, I can set up the program to incorporate more. I set it up dynamically, so that I just have to update the collection list and it’ll add conversions.

Don’t tell people you use Visual Basic they tend to have worse opinion of you.

As long as the job gets done?

Tends to be this worse …

I am quite familiar with that error, you need to install .net framework and maybe install visual studio end user runtime 2008 or 2005.

Not really sure on that user runtime exact name, but it is something in same manner.

EDIT1:
ah its
Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistribution Package

It would be neat if Visual Basic can determine it immediately and return corresponding error information rather than a machine language errors.

Well no offense at all, i don’t do code in VB anyway :smiley:

AFAIK, Visual Basic is a compiled language and not an interpreted one like Python. So that means that Visual Basic code is in fact compiled into machine-code.

I still believe that an interpreted language should be able to be compiled into a packed program.
Why it’s not possible?
Say python language compiled into an .exe or C-like executables.

Just put a little bit hardwork to include detailed information in it.
Then it should be compiled perfectly.

Sure, that’s possible. This process is called freezing. Panda3D provides a pfreeze script that wraps around this tool.

It is also possible to use py2exe, but it packs the Python files in an archive with the executable, rather than embedding the Python bytecode into the C program.

Awesome that’s nice, i’ll definitely come to that point later.
That’ll solve the problem of encoding and encryption matters.
Hope it will be running smoothly. I still in doubt for that convenient way.

Thanks for the idea :slight_smile:

Note that you can also pack your Panda3D application as .p3d, your code will be just as safe (maybe even safer, as you can sign the .p3d so that no code can be modified without breaking the signature). The added bonus is that .p3d files are platform-independent, while executables are limited to a single platform.
You can even use pdeploy to convert a .p3d into an executable for any platform.

None of these methods of packing affect the game’s runtime performance.

And, oh, my apologies for the thread hijack. I didn’t notice that this thread was about something different.

Haha, no problem, I don’t mind people bumping up my thread :stuck_out_tongue:.

Although, there exists an installer for the egg thing, but its too much for such a simple program. I love the idea of stand alone exe’s. Especially when its 28KB. Simply Orgasmic. [Isn’t narcissism the best?]