Does panda3d.org need a new layout?

I periodically try to get toontown screenshots, and I never have any luck. So far all the shots I find on the web either have somebody else’s logo on them (ie, “mmorpg.com”), or they’re in some terribly small resolution (ie, 320x240), or they’re just plain boring shots where there are characters standing around not doing anything. If anybody can get me some decent shots, I’d be obliged. “Decent” means high-resolution action shots, with the frame full of nice scenery.

OK im a kid i dont know how to progrm but im learning with out even going to school for it so yes this site is for kids to!!! DUH
Thats just mean!(treeform)

Heya… some of the design stuff has found its way into Panda3D’s current website layout! :smiley:

So: Nice work everyone!

Maybe other things will follow…

Regards… Bigfoot29

I am supposed to be working on full site redesign.

Ah great… :smiley:

What layout are you going to use, if I may ask? :slight_smile:

Regards, Bigfoot29

Hello all,

when I see the new website suggested in this post it still looks “outdated”. The “new” but very outdated looking header. Come on guys… Panda3D a 3D engine so I would think there are some designers in here that also know one or two things about webdesign… The “new” logo suggested in this post looks really good but is not finished yet… It needs some texture or some shade. I wouldn’t want a only two colored mascot for Panda3D because Panda3D has alot of features so you would want that to reflect in the mascot/logo but it is just a boring two colored image now and Panda ain’t boring!

Are you guys serious with the new header? What is this? I would suggest you go web2.0 with the new website if there is going to be one… cause it looks like it is going to be a very bad looking redo of the current website. I think a complete and total overhaul is needed

Here is a suggestion I made within five minutes.
Please mind this is only five minutes of work and only the landing page! So it is not finished, yet. I just want some response to this.

Hope this will get you going on a web2.0 design… And that there are also some (web)designers helping out because it seems only programmers are working on the design… Maybe get a contest going or something…

P.S. don’t put dates on the front page which only once a year are updated!

clooner, true we are no designers but i like the way your design is going. Can you muck up a general page?

Thanks! sure I can do some work on a general page. I will send something today. Are you creating the new website? And how come there are no designers working on the website? I am sure there must be some around.

I like the layout, it’s well thought out simple and clean. It has a nice flow through the page, with clear delineations between the different parts. A lot better than my layout, I got myself stuck in the current page layout I think. Nice work!

Comments. The horizontally oriented page design calls for a wider content width, it looks a bit constricted at the current width. I suggest adding around 70-80px on either side to bring the whole width to 800px. I also don’t think the brushed steel texture for the green parts work, looks good on the black header not so much down there. I’d leave the background there plain. Finally, I like the intent of the simplified navigation but I think right now it only caters to new users of Panda. The links for the manual and API references need to go back up to the main navigation header or somewhere easier to access than the footer. Looking forward to what you can do for the main pages.

We are serious about the website redesign, the header is just a stopgap measure since the site admin, Josh Yelon doesn’t have too much time right now with the preparations for the release of 1.5.0. And I know the logo isn’t finished yet I haven’t found the time to finish it off, besides which I don’t think it’s quite right as a logo. It’s not iconic enough, perhaps as a mascot but I’d like to see alternatives to the logo.

edit

clooner, I’m doing the design, treeform is implementing it. I’m actually a design student but my excuse is, I really really did not think through the design well enough. The design I had got praised so I didn’t think to analyze it more, my bad.

Here is the design with the comments implemented next to that I also created a full text page design. I updated the design to fit 1024x768 resolutions or higher.

clooner wow good job i like the layout! Could i have psd’s or pngs without the text so that I could get the textures? How would you imagine forums to look like? Also I did not see screen shot sections, but maybe the title of “What is done with Panda3D” fits better because panda is more then just a rendering engine.

Yes, of course I can sent it in a psd. Can you pm your email? Will it be in good hands?

The “what is done” is the meant to be as the screenshots but more complete. The “did you know” is sort of a short feature list with the key features.

Well i am the one that is doing the site redesign. So its good for me to have those things :slight_smile:. Your design looks a lot more web2.0 but it might be harder to find stuff then in Zero’s. Hmm

I’m iffy on the new landing page, what I really loved about the first was the distillation of the information to the fewest parts needed. I didn’t mention this earlier since I thought you would fix it in the new version but I do not like the noise texture on the yellow bar, something else smoother an image perhaps?

The content page, I’m not quite feeling it. I think one of the problems is that the text column gets a bit too wide for comfortable reading. The top navigation bar seems off to me, perhaps it’s just dominated by the panda or it needs to be shifted to the left maybe. It doesn’t read as well as it does on the landing page.

I’ll generate a new design soon-ish with a cleaner layout, probably on Thursday.

Hey, I’m new here but I figured I’d throw my two cents in,

I agree the web page needs to be clearly structured but that doesn’t mean it needs an aggressive mascot. I don’t mind a cute programming language. In fact I think it makes a statement and is one of the reasons I decided to learn it in the first place.

I’m still a noob with Panda and Python but I have programmed with other languages before that had a much more pretentious façade.

Panda3D is the cute fun game engine. It works because games are meant to be fun and having a fun name implies making them will be fun too.

the fact that it is cute dismisses any allusion to pretention. If anything I’d say make it cuter! Being cute as a game engine is like being the goth of your highschool. rebelling against the tide. It should be so cute that its comically so.

so my vote goes to make panda the hello kitty of game engines!

I think the logo I used which is designed by Treeform and I use in my suggested redesign has that. It needs a bit of tweaking but for the rest it has its unique style.

Here is my proposal for a site that serves forum posts. Also very basic and no junk. I didn’t include any screenshots in the side because this is a BIG mistake of the current forum. Nobody goes to the forum to see screenshots in the side…

Any suggestions on the design are welcome…

i agree with the screen shots on the side

It really bothers me when someone posts a picture so wide that I have to scroll horizontally for every line to read the posts on the page.

Is there any you could restrict the width of the other posts or something so that doesn’t happen?

On the other hand, the layout normally isn’t wide enough. Even properly formatted code is very hard to read. I’ve resorted to posting a long, thin picture to make my code posts look right. 750 pixels is enough, at least in my browser.

There should be enough width in the new layout for standard console output [i]in a posted

[code]
block[/i], i.e. 80 characters per line.

Also, do we really need the screenshots on every page? I’ve already seen them all multiple times. There just aren’t enough of them yet to keep things interesting. They also don’t change often enough to justify the extra load time. Pictures take bandwidth. Not everybody has fast internet.

It would be okay to show a few screenshots on the main page and the forum index, but gosh, not on every single page on the whole website!

Cyan, what’s your browser ? Surely you can download only the pictures you want.

I’m using Firefox, and yes, I can uncheck the “load images automatically” option, or even enable or disable it for individual websites. Switching between them is not very convenient, however.

I personally do have a fast internet connection, I was just saying that not everyone does, or does all the time.

Load time is not the only problem with the screenshots though. IMHO it’s visual clutter that distracts from what I’m trying to do most of the time. It’s the kind of thing people tend to habitually ignore, like banner ads (at least they’re not animated!). If I want to see screenshots, I’ll go to the screenshots page. It would be okay to see new screenshots in the forum index or the home page, because I look for news there anyway.

As for the extra wide pictures in forum posts, yes, I could uncheck “load images automatically” and reload the page, I could just use the horizontal scroll bar for every line :exclamation: , I have the Firefox PageZoom Add-on, so I could even page zoom out till the scroll bar dissapears, then text zoom in till I can actually read the text again, heck, I could even C-a the text in the page and copy and paste it into notepad!

The point is any of the above options are inconvenient, so while we’re on the topic of website layout, if the page width could be restricted, but widened enough for standard console output it would save us all a lot of trouble.