DirectGUI: Getting the item under the mouse

Is there a way to get the DirectGUI item (if any) that’s under the mouse?

MouseWatcher provides the method “getOverRegion”, and the returned MouseWatcherRegion does seem to contain a reference to the associated PGItem–but it’s stored in a private variable, and thus not accessible.

To explain, I have a piece of code that I want to skip over whenever the player is hovering the mouse over a certain type of DirectGUI element (or the sub-components thereof). The trick, then, is to figure out what element the mouse is currently over, if any at all…

You could use an event like this:

guiObject.bind(DGG.ENTER,command=self.myCommand,extraArgs=[myArgs])

Then whenever the mouse hovers over the DirectGui object, your command could be triggered and do whatever you want it to do.
To see when the mouse has “exited” a gui-object’s bounds use “EXIT”:

guiObject.bind(DGG.EXIT,command=self.myCommand,extraArgs=[myArgs])

Which would then trigger your command as well, upon that event happening.
Of course this is just one way to get it done, there could be others.

Ah, I should perhaps have mentioned that: I don’t want to manually bind all of the elements in question. I’d rather do this by examining the current item.

Sorry about omitting that, and thank you nevertheless for the answer! ^^;

Here’s something I just tried and seems to work:

def __get_widget(self, task):

if not self.mouseWatcherNode.hasMouse():
            return task.cont

region = self.mouseWatcherNode.getOverRegion()

if region:
            print("region:", region.name)
            widget = self.aspect2d.find(f"**/*{region.name}")
            print("widget:", widget)

return task.cont

If you add the above task to your ShowBase-derived application class, it should print the name of the MouseWatcherRegion and the widget it found whose name ends with that name, attached to aspect2d.

Perhaps this is what you were looking for?

Excellent–that does indeed seem to work, thank you! :slight_smile:

I’ll confess that I was a little hesitant about using an approach that employed scene-graph searching, but it looks as though it doesn’t significantly impact performance, and it works, so I’m happy I believe. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad I could help :slight_smile: !

1 Like