cpp examples?

Hello, first I’m new to Panda3d been working with a few engines but looks like Panda3d make fit my needs. What I noticed was all the examples are in python. Are there any for c++?

Yes, I recently wrote a few. You can find them at the manual on this website.

Please note that I’m still busy writing them, so they’re not complete.

I’d suggest starting here:
http://www.panda3d.org/manual/index.php/Using_CXX

Hey that sounds great. I have to have look.

Any Idea why I get

"First-chance exception at 0x7c342eee in pview.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00133000.
Unhandled exception at 0x7c342eee in pview.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00133000.
"

no matter what I do in VS8. I used the manual walk-true and download the pview example but Nothing will run. I’m still hacking away at this but if you happen to know it would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Turns out its the vs7 dlls that are crashing. Any way to get the vs8 dlls?

Try it with just the normal g++ compiler instead of the VS8 compiler. Does that one work?

I’m not sure, Ill have to give it a go and let you know.

On Windows, Panda will not build with g++. It requires MSVC, because of complex interactions between templates and dll’s, which gcc does not handle correctly.

It can be successfully compiled with VS8, but this requires compiling all of the thirdparty libraries with VS8 as well. I have heard that Josh has been working on a new release of Panda that will be entirely compiled with VS8; when he gets everything to a stable point and is able to release this, it should solve this problem for you nicely.

David

@drwr: oh, I didn’t know. I’ll remove the manual page “how to compile using g++ under windows”.

@ulao: If you already know c++, it would be very very very easy to write in python. It doesn’t take long to see how python works.

Yes we were able to get python up and running, but we will be integrating our projects with other c++ code in the feature so we need the code to be c++.

I didn’t have a chance to try g++. I may compile the libraries first.

ok vs8 now working…

Found the problem. the man page talked about the

WIN32;NDEBUG;_CONSOLE;WIN32_VC

But the downloaded project file didn’t have this in it. When I replaced it it worked.

Great! Welcome to C++ @ panda!

Please note that C++ works different in some ways than Python, for example, there are no Tasks in Python. (see the Hello World (CXX) example at the manual)

If you have any question, (I bet you will, cuz’ the lack of docs), just ask here at the forum, we are always willing to help, especially drwr, who knows everything about it :smiley: