Compiling on Ubuntu Jaunty

I am trying to compile the source from the CVS tree. I got it all checked out, got the 3rd party tools and samples, etc.

When I:

makepanda/makepanda.py --installer

I am told:

Cannot build installer without python

gtk2.0-0 is installed, as is python 2.6.2

trying:

makepanda/makepanda.py --nothing

results in:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Makepanda Initial Status Report
Makepanda: Compiler: LINUX
Makepanda: Optimize: 3
Makepanda: Keep Pkg:
Makepanda: Omit Pkg: MAYA6 MAYA65 MAYA7 MAYA8 MAYA85 MAYA2008 MAYA2009 MAX6 MAX7 MAX8 MAX9 MAX2009 DX8 DX9 PYTHON ZLIB PNG JPEG TIFF VRPN FMODEX OPENAL NVIDIACG OPENSSL FREETYPE FFTW ARTOOLKIT SQUISH ODE DIRECTCAM OPENCV FFMPEG FCOLLADA PANDATOOL
Makepanda: Verbose vs. Quiet Level: 1
Makepanda: Don't generate API reference manual
Makepanda: Version ID: 1.7.0
Makepanda: Caution: the built/lib directory is not in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Makepanda: or /etc/ld.so.conf.  You must add it before using panda.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Generating dependencies...
g++ -ftemplate-depth-30 -fPIC -c -o built/tmp/dtoolbase_composite1.o -I"built/tmp" -I"built/include" -Idtool/src/dtoolbase -O2 -DBUILDING_DTOOL "dtool/src/dtoolbase/dtoolbase_composite1.cxx"
In file included from dtool/src/dtoolbase/neverFreeMemory.h:20,
                 from dtool/src/dtoolbase/deletedBufferChain.h:19,
                 from dtool/src/dtoolbase/deletedBufferChain.cxx:15,
                 from dtool/src/dtoolbase/dtoolbase_composite1.cxx:6:
dtool/src/dtoolbase/mutexImpl.h:58: error: âMutexPosixImplâ does not name a type
Storing dependency cache.
Elapsed Time: 1 sec

Any suggestions? using --everything gives the same end result as --nothing, except a bunch of warnings about a bunch of things only being supported in Windows.

Are you sure the python-dev package (or whatever the equivalent is in your distro) is installed? You need the development python package, not just the runtime package.

As to the second error, this was a momentary bug in the cvs tree. My apologies; I just checked in a fix. Not sure if you’ll be happy with a --nothing build, though.

David

Odd.

I installed python-dev as suggested (it wasn’t there), and checked out the whole CVS tree again.

makepanda/makepanda.py --installer

and

makepanda/makepanda.py --everything

are both still doing the exact same thing as above. Per your note, I am not trying the --nothing build.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks!

Actually you should use both options at the same time.

makepanda/makepanda.py --everything --installer

But most importantly, you need to install these packages first:

sudo apt-get install build-essential bison libgtk2.0-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libxft-dev libosmesa6-dev flex libssl-dev libpng12-dev libtiff4-dev python-dev

Also, when building the CVS, you need to download the “thirdparty” directory from the 1.6.2 download page and place it in your Panda source root.

OK, following along.

I installed all the packages listed above. Still doesn’t seem to be changing anything.

If I use just the --installer option, I get the ‘Cannot build installer without python’ error.

If I use --everything --installer as you describe, I still get the MutexImpl.h error. I did a fresh checkout again this morning.

Could my python path be messed up somehow? I used apt-get to install it.

For what it is worth, this machine will never have the graphical display. I am going to use it for my distributedNode server that zanz and drwr are progressing rapidly on. With any luck, I will be able to connect to it and work on my project no matter where I am at.

Thanks again for helping look into this!

I’m puzzled. I can build it fine here on Jaunty.

Did you really install all the packages I told you to install? Try “cvs up -A” in the root, to make sure you have all the latest files. Also, “rm -rf built” to clean the build directory.

Does “Keep Pkg” in the makepanda output list “PYTHON”?

PS. You’re not supposed to run it with just --installer, that’s why that doesn’t work.

It appears to be compiling now. I did the:

cvs up -A

and makepanda is off and running!

Curious: I had done:

cvs co panda3d

and that didn’t get the most current, apparently, since cvs up -A fixed the problem. Any idea why a checkout wouldn’t get me the latest and greatest?

Thanks for the help!