Comparing Panda3D vs Godot

I want to choose a game engine
I’m a web developer and flask programmer
I want to use a game engine but I’m so puzzle which one of the engines are much suitable as beginner like me .

Unity, Godot , Panda3D

I want to be python game developer rather than c++

Can you explain me Godot has higher performance or Panda3D ?

I think panda3d is so awesome but I’m not sure is a good choice to me either not.

Please guide me for choosing a good game engine

With Godot, you won’t become a python developer. It uses a pseudo python.

I know
But the most important difference is the editor of Godot
And this makes me to get confuse which I choose

Some times I tell myself I go to use unity ( has many jobs, big community, … )

But I don’t like c# :joy:

I’m among the Panda3d and godot

If you want an editor-focused game engine, I would choose Godot over Panda3D. If you prefer working with a framework, then Panda3D would be the better choice. I suspect performance is similar enough between Godot and Panda3D, but I have no evidence to back that up with. Also, if you want to do a 2D game, I’d pick Godot over Panda3D.

Welcome to the community!

I’ve used both Godot and Panda3D to produce games. I think both are good engines, but they are also quite different and fit different needs.

Godot uses a heavily editor-based workflow, with excellent out-of-the-box tools, especially for the development of 2D games. I would definitely consider it if you have an undemanding application without too many custom needs and need to quickly churn out content without spending a lot of time building out your engine and pipeline.

Panda3D is a more low level, but more flexible framework, that lets you build out your own “engine” and asset pipeline. It tries to expose the full range of functionality that the graphics card offers. It lets you do more things but you have to do more things yourself. As a result, you can do all sorts of crazy rendering techniques, but you have to do more work to do some seemingly basic things.

There’s another gotcha about Godot: it doesn’t use Python, but its own language that is inspired by Python. This does mean that you’re locked out of the entire Python ecosystem of packages and libraries, and entirely dependent on the Godot-specific ecosystem, which is considerably smaller (albeit growing). If you need to do things that Godot doesn’t provide out of the box, and nobody developed a plug-in for, you have to write a C++ extension. With Panda3D you don’t have this problem, both because you get access to the entire world of Python libraries, but also because Panda3D has sufficient exposure of low-level APIs that you can implement a lot of things yourself.

In the end, the best way to choose an engine is to spend some time with both of them, and then choose which one best fits your desired workflow and gets you closer to your goal. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Panda3D uses Python, which is what you want.
Godot uses GDSript and C# (and two other languages). GDScript is supposed to be like Python, but has a more JavaScript like-environment.

So choose what you like based on my description.

P.S.: Please forgive me about some spelling mistakes and weird words. My keyboard isn’t responding.

is it possible to fork and release a godot type editor for panda3d compatibility?

It’s impossible. Godot is not based on the Panda3D engine.

Probably not impossible, but it wouldn’t be trivial. You’d probably be better off just writing something from scratch designed for panda to begin with. I mean you’d basically be rewriting the whole thing anyway if you wanted to transfer the editor to panda, meaning it’s really not worth it.

1 Like

Theoretically, it’s possible that the developers of the Godot’s editor designed it in such a way that the UI is easily separable from the engine-specific logic. And it might even be worth investigating that on the off-chance.

However, I wouldn’t count on it, or presume it for that matter.

That said, there is to my mind an ambiguity in the initial question: The OP asked whether it was possible to “fork and release a godot type editor”. “Godot type” to my mind suggests that it’s possible that the intention is simply for an editor that’s patterned after Godot’s, rather than being derived from that it. Although that does then raise the question of from where this new editor would be forked.

As far as I’m aware, the editor for Godot is made in godot, meaning separating the editor from the engine would be, if not impossible, very tedious. I’d imagine it’d take a lot of re-engineering and probably making some sort of layer that lets Godot and Panda work together, but at that point it’d really be better to just make something entirely new designed for Panda specifically. I’ve actually been considering using Panda myself (hence why I’m here) and have been exploring using it from C++ (following the tutorials in that manual have been pretty straight forward). If I do make my game in Panda, I’d probably also make a level editor to go with it, which I would open source under a liberal license. This is, of course, a lot of ifs, but I have been enjoying my time with Panda. You will probably be seeing me more often on these forums :slight_smile:

Ah, yes, in that case I think that I agree: it seems to me far more likely than not that reworking Godot’s editor for use with Panda3D would be far from trivial.

That could well be good to see, indeed!

Before you do, however, let me note that there have been a few community-made editors shown here on the forum, as I recall–it might thus be worth searching for those to see whether any of them might serve your purposes.

(Unless you specifically want to make an editor of your own, in which case fair enough! But even then, those other editors may provide inspiration!)

And welcome to the forum, come to that! I hope that you enjoy your time here, and your time with Panda3D! :slight_smile:

1 Like