"Buildings" Inside walls are invisible

I know this isn’t the best forum to post on, But I was wondering if maybe it had something to do with the vertex or something.

I had made a house big enough for my character to walk into. The outside looks perfectly fine for a building, However, When I walk inside: The walls seem to be missing. It’s not on an angle of view i’m looking at them, It’s just all-around gone.

Any reason why this may be?
I was thinking maybe adding it as a terrain, But I wasn’t sure if that’d screw something up.

-Sorry for my second post within the hour.

To learn why:
http://www.panda3d.org/manual/index.php/Backface_Culling_and_Frontface_Culling
You can fix it the way suggested in the manual page, or you can duplicate the geometry in your modeling program and flip the normals on the duplicated faces.
Put simply, you need both an inside wall and an outside wall for your building to render properly when you can go inside and outside of it.

Okay thanks, ill try it when I get home :slight_smile:

Thanks so much

It worked. Thanks!
But I guess I didn’t realize that I can walk through the walls.
Is their a way to prevent this without adding it to the actual terrain? Using collision, Of course.
But how?

Please open a new thread when asking about something different from OP.

For collisions see panda3d.org/manual/index.php … _Detection and the following pages.

There’s also the possibility to do collision detection in ODE and bullet, both described either at the manual or on the forums. There also exist ready to use packages for character controlling, which include collision detection.

How can I tell which of those Spheres, Rays, Planes, Ect it is? I started which a plane, and build a house with it.

Approximate.
And only put those collision solids into the SG that are likely to be used.
A simple house could be approximated with a few planes.

A different approach can be used depending on the control type you need. Another technique could be:
You lay out a mesh on the ground and attach a ray to the actor. As long as the downward pointing ray intersects the ground, you can move, if not, move to the last position.

Would it be possible to just do as the roaming Ralph terrain has done?
Like, add it to the notepad edit?
terrain {
{ Polyset keep descend } ?
Or would that overnight something? Considering its a building, not a terrain.

I don’t fully remember how roaming ralph is implemented, but I imagine it probably uses the technique I posted before, maybe plus extra collision testing on trees etc.

I can’t really tell what’s better:

• telling the character to move based on physics and collisions with ground and actually sliding on it when player requests
  • telling the character to only use ground collision ray and do no physics at all. Here the ground mesh needs to exactly tell where the character can walk on (so it needs to have holes where obstacles stand).
  • combine collision ray for ground with collision solids for obstacles. This way the ground collision mesh might get much simpler (maybe even a quad) and you can place obstacles without having to change the ground. Probably you could also apply physics to this method.

Just try one method and look if it does the job.

Roaming Ralph uses the “Edit in notepad” > Change the group to terrain > after put { Polyset keep descend }
This way is for the terrain, but I’m not sure how not to overnight the terrain with a building. That’s my problem right now.