Building a frozen panda module with Deploy-ng/Setuptools

Hello! I am requesting some support in getting a baseline frozen panda module for multiple systems using the deploy-ng branch. I caught wind of it through the hackpad collaboration page and found this piece of documentationdetailing sample usage.

At first, I tried following the doc directly, using the supplied setup.py in the asteroids project directory and trying to build for Win32/64, MacOS, and Linux. So far I obtained the panda3d package that was built with deploy-ng and I am getting an error that I don’t have panda3d wheel.

(i added a dummy requirements.txt for now)

PS C:\Panda3D-1.10.0\samples\asteroids> python -V
Python 2.7.13
PS C:\Panda3D-1.10.0\samples\asteroids> python setup.py bdist_apps
running bdist_apps
running build_apps
Building platforms: manylinux1_x86_64,macosx_10_6_x86_64,win32,win_amd64
removing 'C:\Panda3D-1.10.0\samples\asteroids\build\manylinux1_x86_64' (and everything under it)
creating C:\Panda3D-1.10.0\samples\asteroids\build\manylinux1_x86_64
Collecting pymongo (from -r ./requirements.txt (line 1))
  File was already downloaded c:\panda3d-1.10.0\samples\asteroids\build\__whl_cache__\pymongo-3.4.0-cp27-cp27m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl
Successfully downloaded pymongo
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 22, in <module>
    'win_amd64',
  File "C:\Python27\lib\distutils\core.py", line 151, in setup
    dist.run_commands()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\distutils\dist.py", line 953, in run_commands
    self.run_command(cmd)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\distutils\dist.py", line 972, in run_command
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\direct\showutil\dist.py", line 287, in run
    self.run_command('build_apps')
  File "C:\Python27\lib\distutils\cmd.py", line 326, in run_command
    self.distribution.run_command(command)
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\direct\showutil\dist.py", line 106, in run
    raise RuntimeError("Missing panda3d wheel")
RuntimeError: Missing panda3d wheel

Thanks for any help

How to build installer using deploy-ng?

Looks like pip did not grab a panda3d wheels. Can you post the contents of c:\panda3d-1.10.0\samples\asteroids\build_whl_cache_ and your requirements.txt file.

Also, pip will need to download deploy-ng wheels, which currently requires some requirements.txt trickery to avoid grabbing the official wheels from PyPI. However, that will result in a different error and we can cross that bridge when we get there.

I cloned directly from the branch, built, and installed.

requirements.txt

-f ./wheels
panda3d

and nothing in whl_cache

After the self-build and install, i get this error:

PS C:\Panda3D-1.10.0\samples\asteroids> python .\setup.py bdist_apps
running bdist_apps
running build_apps
Building platforms: manylinux1_x86_64,macosx_10_6_x86_64,win32,win_amd64
creating C:\Panda3D-1.10.0\samples\asteroids\build
creating C:\Panda3D-1.10.0\samples\asteroids\build\manylinux1_x86_64
Collecting panda3d (from -r ./requirements.txt (line 2))
  Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement panda3d (from -r ./requirements.txt (line 2)) (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for panda3d (from -r ./requirements.txt (line 2))
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File ".\setup.py", line 16, in <module>
    'win_amd64',
  File "C:\Python27\lib\distutils\core.py", line 151, in setup
    dist.run_commands()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\distutils\dist.py", line 953, in run_commands
    self.run_command(cmd)
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\direct\showutil\dist.py", line 287, in run
    self.run_command('build_apps')
  File "C:\Python27\lib\distutils\cmd.py", line 326, in run_command
    self.distribution.run_command(command)
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\direct\showutil\dist.py", line 106, in run
    raise RuntimeError("Missing panda3d wheel")
RuntimeError: Missing panda3d wheel

Hey, so I’m confused here. I used the python.exe downloaded from python.org for win32 and I installed panda3d using

python.exe -m pip install --extra-index-url=https://archive.panda3d.org/branches/deploy-ng panda3d

And when I run on the example setup.py OP mentioned, which I placed in the asteroids sample, I get the error

error: invalid command 'bdist_apps'

How are you running the setup.py (e.g., command-line, double-clicking on the file)? Do you have multiple python installations? Do you have any installs of the Panda3D SDK that used the installers (i.e., not installed using pip)?

Hi Moguri,

Thanks for your reply. I have posted the info you requested in a separate thread here so that others with similar problem will find it more easily: [url]How to build installer using deploy-ng?]

From this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2477117/pip-requirements-txt-with-alternative-index

I set my requirements.txt as

-i https://archive.panda3d.org/branches/deploy-ng/panda3d/
panda3d==1.10.0.dev1137+deployng.102

And right now its downloading just fine.

Well, ok, after the download it shows this error:

running bdist_apps
running build_apps
Building platforms: win32
removing 'C:\Panda3D-1.9.4\samples\asteroids\build\win32' (and everything under it)
creating C:\Panda3D-1.9.4\samples\asteroids\build\win32
Collecting panda3d==1.10.0.dev1137+deployng.102 (from -r ./requirements.txt (line 2))
  File was already downloaded c:\panda3d-1.9.4\samples\asteroids\build\__whl_cache__\panda3d-1.10.0.dev1137+deployng.102-cp27-cp27m-win32.whl
Successfully downloaded panda3d
There are some missing modules: ['_hashlib', 'builtins', 'panda3d.core', 'panda3d.direct', 'resource', 'select']
copying __whl_cache__\panda3d-1.10.0.dev1137+deployng.102-cp27-cp27m-win32.whl\panda3d\libpandagl.dll -> win32\libpandagl.dll
error: can't copy 'C:\Panda3D-1.9.4\samples\asteroids\build\__whl_cache__\panda3d-1.10.0.dev1137+deployng.102-cp27-cp27m-win32.whl\panda3d/libpandagl.dll': doesn't exist or not a regular file

However, when running from source using deploy-ng version of panda3d, asteroid program runs just fine.