Buffer.itemsize error with setRamImageAs

I have the following code that in the first lines, it creates a grayscale image with the size of 256x 256 pixels of a perlin noise. And then the following lines it basically just duplicate the image and then flip it 4 times to form a image in the size of 1024 x 1024. The returning array has the following format:

[[0.5, 0.3, 0.2, 0.1, 0.0],
 [0.5, 0.3, 0.2, 0.1, 0.0],
 [0.5, 0.3, 0.2, 0.1, 0.0]]

where each number is equals a white value, I already use matplot lib to check if the array renders a image and it does. However, when I execute the following code:

def generate_texture(self):
		#texture_size is defined as 1024 at __init__
		lin = np.linspace(45, 57, self.texture_size / 4, endpoint=False)
		x, y = np.meshgrid(lin, lin)

primary = perlin(x,y)
		half_quadrant = np.append(primary, np.flip(primary, axis=1), axis=1) #duplicate and then flip the image
		full_quadrant = np.append(half_quadrant, np.flip(half_quadrant, axis=0), axis=0) #merge it together

half_complete = np.append(full_quadrant, np.flip(full_quadrant, axis=1), axis=1) #flip all again
		complete = np.append(half_complete, np.flip(half_complete, axis=0), axis=0) #merge it all again
		complete = ndimage.gaussian_filter(complete, 10) #apply gaussian blur
		complete = np.clip(complete, 0, 1) # clamp all values in the interval of 0 to 1

current_texture = Texture('noise') #create the texture
		current_texture.setup2dTexture(self.texture_size, self.texture_size, Texture.T_float, Texture.F_luminance) #set texture values
		current_texture.setRamImageAs(complete, "A") #add data from the array to the texture

return current_texture

I get the following error:

Known pipe types:
  wglGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\Projetos\End Of Time - Pandas\src\engine_testing\main.py", line 100, in <module>
    app = MyApp()
  File "D:\Projetos\End Of Time - Pandas\src\engine_testing\main.py", line 19, in __init__
    self.setup_planet()
  File "D:\Projetos\End Of Time - Pandas\src\engine_testing\main.py", line 74, in setup_planet
    self.model.setTexture(self.generate_texture(), 0)
  File "D:\Projetos\End Of Time - Pandas\src\engine_testing\main.py", line 40, in generate_texture
    current_texture.setRamImageAs(complete, "A")
TypeError: buffer.itemsize does not match Texture component size

Which to me is quite weird because I tested with len and such and I am sure the array has the same size that I set the texture with. I checked the documentation on setRamImageAs but I don’t get any details about the second parameter or how should I proceed to setup a grayscale picture. What exactly should be the correct configuration for that method?

I’m not sure how perlin() is defined exactly; you haven’t shared its definition so I can’t be sure.

But, what I would suggest is adding print(complete.dtype); if it’s not float32 then the problem is that it’s not matching the texture’s component type, and you need to pass dtype=np.float32 to whatever array you are returning from perlin().

Thanks. the working code is this:

def generate_texture(self):
		#texture_size is defined as 1024 at __init__
		lin = np.linspace(45, 57, self.texture_size / 4, endpoint=False)
		x, y = np.meshgrid(lin, lin)

primary = perlin(x,y).astype(np.float32)

half_quadrant = np.append(primary, np.flip(primary, axis=1), axis=1)
		full_quadrant = np.append(half_quadrant, np.flip(half_quadrant, axis=0), axis=0)

half_complete = np.append(full_quadrant, np.flip(full_quadrant, axis=1), axis=1)
		complete = np.append(half_complete, np.flip(half_complete, axis=0), axis=0)
		complete = ndimage.gaussian_filter(complete, 10)
		complete = np.clip(complete, 0, 1)

current_texture = Texture('noise')
		current_texture.setup2dTexture(self.texture_size, self.texture_size, Texture.T_float, Texture.F_luminance)
		current_texture.setRamImage(complete)

return current_texture

And the perlin noise is just this one: https://stackoverflow.com/a/42154921/5763248