Browser plugin nearing completion

@Xidram: Hm, weird that ~/.mozilla/plugins didn’t work for you. Well, you can try one of the following directories:

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/
/usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins/

Also, make sure that the nppanda3d.so plugin has execute permissions (which you can set using “chmod +x nppanda3d.so”).

Still didn’t work. It initially didn’t have execute permissions (admittedly I didn’t think of setting that), but even after giving it execute permissions, copying to /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins and giving the one I had previously put in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins execute permissions, nothing changed.

I didn’t try /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins because no such directory even exists. Should I create it and try that? Something tells me there is something else going wrong here if all those other directories are not working for me.

There had been a problem with the linux plugin; I had inadvertently built in a dependency on libpython2.4.so, which of course wasn’t installed on your system. I’ve just uploaded a new version that fixes this. Please download this new version (you may need to clear your browser cache to ensure you don’t inadvertently download the old one again) and try it in ~/.mozilla/plugins, as usual.

David

This makes no sense to me. Which browser are you using? Firefox? Try dragging it into your browser again, so that you get the panda logo with no button, and then post (or email to me) the contents of your log file in c:\Documents and Settings<your name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Panda3D\log\p3dcore.log .

David

Yeah, that worked. Thank you very much! (And thank you, pro-rsoft, for also trying to solve my problem!)

However, now that the plugin loaded, there’s something else that confuses me about this. All the demos show up the Panda app viewer (with the adorable panda artwork and the red shiny play button), but when I click on it, nothing happens. The button disappears for a few hundred milliseconds, and then it reappears. Clicking multiple times does nothing. I tried clearing the cache again to ensure it wasn’t that, and I tried every demo on the page to see if a single one would show different results. It was the same all around.

Clarification and addition: Airblade showed the downloading progress bar before the play button was visible. This was obviously the downloading stage that probably took very little time with the other demos and so was unnoticeable. However, what I did notice was that hitting the Back button before Airblade downloaded all the way and then going back to it caused it to just not load again. I had to manually clear the cache to get it to download again. Is this intentional?

I’ll get you those log files sometime soon.

Now fbounce works correctly.

I tried to go to ddrose.com/~drose/plugin/carousel.html with Safari (I figured it might cause it to download a new panda). Instead I got a repeatable crash. Heres the crash log:
fg.98115.net:4520/~max/temp/SafariCrashPanda.txt

Firefox seems to still work fine, and is downloading a new panda rev. Now that Firefox has upgraded panda, safari works again. Now I’m seeing there is an update to the plugin. Crashy crash again in Safari (with new plugin). Even the install plugin page crashes! Not good!
fg.98115.net:4520/~max/temp/Safa … Panda2.txt
(Confirmed on both my computers)

I’m trying to fix it with firefox again. Downloading rev 8 again? Whatever. Fixed again. Safari works now. I’ll verify that the same thing happens on this computer once I’m done posting this. (Edit: Confirmed. Running a plugin app in firefox to download the new panda fixed safari again)

The error you asked for, the core API error is the one I linked earlier in that post: dpaste.com/109911/
It did not change when the plugin started working.

The fbounce demo in safari is getting failed video players from my wmv plugin (Flip4Mac WMV web plug-in) instead of panda things.

Also, p3dpython shows up as an application in my doc when I use the plugin. This launching has the tendency to remove the focus from the web browser so the controls don’t work until I click it again.

OK, this sounds like something is missing with the p3dcert application, which is supposed to launch and pop up a dialog when you click the red play button.

Try this:

cd ~/.panda3d/apollo.ddrose.com_81ca30ca0f4df9e9/p3dcert
env LD_LIBRARY_PATH="." ./p3dcert x x

I expect it to give an error message with the second line, which might tell us precisely what is missing. Note the funny use of spaces and dots in the second line.

I will try to investigate. The crash logs you posted are very helpful, thank you!

This is a really strange error and has me mystified. It is as if it is trying to run a very old version of the core API, one that I don’t even have posted anywhere anymore. Can you try freshening the version of panda3d from my above link? And can you show me the output when you run “panda3d -h”? In particular, I’d like to see the panda3d version number (first line), the default url for the -u parameter, and the default platform for the -p parameter.

I uploaded a fixed fbounce.html today, but perhaps the old one is still in your cache. Try emptying your Safari browser cache, or pressing reload on the fbounce.html page.

I’ll see if I can do anything about this annoyance.

David

fbounce seems to run on safari now. The objects fail to pass between the 2 instances though. (They just disappear)

Here is the output, including the error, and a -h command from my panda3d failing:
fg.98115.net:4520/~max/temp/Pand … dIssue.txt

I don’t have a /tmp/tlog folder or file on my desktop of my lap top. My desktop (where the error does not occur) has a p3d_26779c.xml file in /tmp. I have no other clearly panda related tmp files. Using your commands on my laptop does not produce any files in my /tmp folder.

Edit: and I did download panda3d again. No change.

Well, I did exactly as you instructed, and I got the following:

I just realized that I completely screwed up the OSX build. I don’t know how I did it so badly, but it’s completely hosed. The wonder is you’re able to run at all. My apologies; I’ll be able to release a new version when I get back to my desktop Mac in the morning.

Hmm. This is helpful, thank you. What happens if you run it without resetting LD_LIBRARY_PATH, like this?

cd ~/.panda3d/apollo.ddrose.com_81ca30ca0f4df9e9/p3dcert
./p3dcert x x

David

Ok so here’s where things are starting to get weird:

Apparently Panda3D doesn’t exist in my Application Data folder, IExplore, although unsupported, says I have version 0.9.2c, and firefox reports I have 0.9.1c.

@Raz: OK, you’re still running some old versions of the plugin. For some reason the uninstall/reinstall hasn’t worked for you. Let’s do this:

1. Exit all your browsers completely.
  2. Uninstall “Panda3D Game Engine” from Add/Remove Programs.
  3. Use Finder to locate any copies of nppanda3d.dll on your system. Delete them.
  4. Open a browser and navigate to the plugin demo page. Confirm that it reports you do not have the plugin installed. If it says you do have some version of the plugin installed already, repeat step (3).
  5. Download and run the plugin installer.
  6. Restart your browser and navigate to the plugin demo page. Confirm that it reports you are now running version 0.9.3c.

David

Alright, done and done. It finally says I have the newest version :slight_smile:

The p3d now runs from my other directory!

The “Panda3D” folder still doesn’t show up in “C:\Documents and Settings\Raz\Application Data” though, is that a problem?

It’s not there, it’s in “C:\Documents and Settings\Raz\Local Settings\Application Data”.

David

Oh shoot. Sorry for not checking back sooner.

OK, I got the following in console:

And a dialog appeared with the title ‘New Panda3D Application’ that said the following:

That was followed by a Cancel button.

OK, this is the correct behavior of p3dcert (given the bogus parameters we ran it with).

So, running with LD_LIBRARY_PATH="." crashes, but running without it runs successfully. This means that one of the .so’s in the p3dcert directory is bad and is causing the crash.

Would you mind helping me to discover which one, by removing the .so’s from the p3dcert directory one at a time, and each time running with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH="." setting, until it doesn’t crash any more? Whichever was the last one you removed before it started working again, that’s our troublemaker.

I suspect it is one of the system libraries, either libgcc_s.so.1, or libpthread.so.0, or libstdc++.so.6, or possibly libpthread.so.0, libselinux.so.1, or librt.so.1.

Many thanks for your help!
David

Awesome; worked on the second attempt. Your suspicion was accurate. Upon removing libpthread.so.0, I got this:

The warning dialog also appeared as before.

@Xidram: I have updated the plugin to remove that library. Please try running it again, and let me know if you can get in now.

@Craig: I’ve fixed the spurious dock icon, and I’ve fixed fbounce.html for Safari. I haven’t yet fixed the crash on Safari’s initial download, but I’ve found its cause, and I should be able to fix it within the next day or two. Thanks for your help!

David

Crazy as it may sound, upon seeing it work in the browser, I got excited and started bouncing in my chair a bit. Great job, David!

looks like the newest plugin is built against an old libjpeg:
this is the relevant part of my ~/.panda3d/log/p3dplugin.log:

Attempting to load core API from /home/nemesis13/.panda3d/coreapi/linux_i386/p3d_plugin.so
Couldn't load /home/nemesis13/.panda3d/coreapi/linux_i386/p3d_plugin.so: libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Unable to launch core API in /home/nemesis13/.panda3d/coreapi/linux_i386/p3d_plugin.so
DestroyStream https://apollo.ddrose.com/~drose/p3d_7/contents.xml?1256298623, 12892, notifyData = 0xaccf7ef0, reason = 0
Unexpected destroy_stream on https://apollo.ddrose.com/~drose/p3d_7/contents.xml?1256298623
URLNotify: https://apollo.ddrose.com/~drose/p3d_7/contents.xml?1256298623, notifyData = 0xaccf7ef0, reason = 0

full log at cxg.de/_22e8ba.htm

using libjpeg 7, by the way (released 27-Jun-2009)