Blender 2.49 Chicken Installation Problem

That is easy to work around - add then apply the mirror modifier, go into edit mode, select everything and then correct normals - I think the shortcut is ctrl-n, though it might be alt-n.

Nope…that doesn’t work sir. That’s the reason I left the message. You would think recalculating the normals would work, but it does not.

There’s some issue within Blender that takes place after a mirror. I’ve tested this enough times now to know it’s truth.

The fact is…the character will look normal while still in Blender, but once it’s in the Panda Engine, it will not except light correctly.

The last thing I mirrored in Blender and exported to .egg was some mummy cases. The cases did not except light correctly, but because they were just cases…I just set them to solid instead of smooth.

That’s the quick fix, but only for something that has very little faces to begin with, otherwise it would prove too slow for the engine.

Well, I found that sometimes recalculating normals doesn’t work correctly (some remain wrong, some are made wrong), but all that needs to be done in such case is enable showing the normals and fix those that are wrong by hand. Then everything works, and for low-res meshes that’s not so much of a pain.

On the other hand, after a mirror you usually want to flip the normals instead of recalculating them, either inside or outside, because Blender might screw them up. If you just flip them, tho, in most cases everything’s fine.