A good name for a Panda3D Projects Website?

What should be the name for the Panda3D Projects page?

0 voters

Hi!

I don’t know if you are also fed up with files that get lost after a long time of being in the net or file restrictions at free hosting places. I am fed up for a while and talked to a few of the folks developing for/with Panda3D. - Here is a suggestion:

As a hoster (own hosting company) its not all that hard for me to create and maintain a website that could hold many of the smaller files a Panda3D project usually has. We can even use it to store some larger files (such as movies), but due to expensive traffic I would suggest to just store them until we can move them over to the Panda3D.org website.

For extraordinary projects there are also even vservers possible that can handle Panda3D code.

The question is: Is there interest in that sort of developer support?
What should be the name for the project page?

Regards, Bigfoot29

If your projects are open source then here is a list of open source web hosting all free of course
ibiblio.org/fosphost/exhost.htm

The idea was to have something Panda3D specific.
There are free sites of course, but I want to connect it to the community itself instead of spreading it into anonymous areas of the net.

Plus: In case it’ll ever come to that point in the future where I need to shut down the service ( - if(!)) I can hand everything over to new users or the devs.

My major concern is to have an easy access to webspace that will grow and change with the project. I am here since 1.0.5 - and I found my place here. - Others contributed code or stuff at their own pages, linked their stuff here located at their own webspace and deleted it a while after because nobody seems to care… months later someone wants to access it - and can’t do it because the stuff doesn’t exist any more.

See what I mean? :slight_smile:

Not everyone wants to create a Account at Souceforge just for a few files.

Regards, Bigfoot29

PS: On a side note: Do me a favour and take care voting for projects.panda3d.com/org. I am not sure if I will be able/allowed to use that subdomain. :wink:

Great idea. What took you so loooong ?

dunno… maybe the weather? :slight_smile:
Nah… there were other things to do first…

For all: Tried contacting Josh, lets see if we can get something going using Panda3D.org/com :smiley:

Regards, Bigfoot29

Xiongmao
Giant Cat Bear
Ailuropoda Melanoleuca (or just one of those)

• I think I will stay with something containing Panda3D :smiley:

Lets wait a few days more if Josh answers till then… if not I will try to get one of these mentioned above… and even when he answeres later - who says that a webspace is limited to 1 domain name? :mrgreen:

You’ll get ftp access and login data asap. :slight_smile:

Regards, Bigfoot29

PS: hehe… like always… some ppl always see smurfes :smiley:

Mkay… panda3dprojects.com is registered and ready for use. I am open here for suggestions if it’ll be only a space to store files at? A place where the panda-users can show their own websites at with the main site containing only a link to each developer? Is there a need for a full CMS containing everything including the files?
A Mix of all of that?

Tell me what you think. Other ideas are also welcome… As long as it doesn’t end in “hey, lets install another sourceforge!!!” :stuck_out_tongue:

Regards, Bigfoot29

what’s the website current status?

I’d really love to see some blogging features along with the file/project storage stuff. that way, people can write down dev diaries, articles, tutorials in a better / cleaner way :slight_smile:

could the web also function as a promoting tool?.. i’m not sure how to go by that idea, but it sure is nice to also be able to finish a project and have the site as a ‘portal’ for gamers to play or even… buy the product :slight_smile:

what do you think about this, bigfoot29?

At the moment the site isn’t more than a webspace containing a few files for a few Panda3D “users”. They can load up their files and link them in here. - Or do with them whatever they want. :wink:

My major problem is: I want to keep the forum the main point of the Panda3D-Development. There are sure tons of stuff that can be done - however I wonder if I can manage to set them up correctly :wink:

A Blog-like portal shouldn’t be a problem at all. However, I want to keep it non-profit.

In case there are devs that want to sell their games, we should consider a small contribute for that bandwith.

Decision on how and what is still in progress, so of course… ideas are always welcome. :smiley:

Regards, Bigfoot29

@bigfoot: if you need it I can create a good projects-website for you, (using HTML+PHP)… :slight_smile:

As long as its better working than your linked homepage… :wink:

Nah, joke aside… in case you are able to code, you are welcome to do so.

I will hand you over an ftp access (PM) - make sure to use relative paths so that we can move it to the root as soon as its done. :slight_smile:

Regards, Bigfoot29