4K and Scaling Under Windows 10

I’ve had a report of some issues with the UI of A Door to the Mists under Windows 10, specifically when using a 4K resolution and a scaling value of 200%.

I’m not really familiar with Windows 10 or its scaling feature, so I don’t know to what degree this is something that I’m doing wrong (by action or omission), or a bug in Panda, or just a result of a Windows feature that one would expect to interfere with gaming.

These are the reports that I’ve had:

- The UI / Text is scaled wrongly in high resolution. Half of the textboxes in the intro are outside of the screen and cannot be read. I’m playing in 4k with a scaling of 200% in Win 10.

- After changing the resolution in the main menu, the cursor was restricted to a portion of the screen, so I could not click on any button anymore

For the latter, could this be Panda or Windows messing up how the mouse is contained in “confined” mode?

For the former, I’m really not sure of what to think. Should I be looking for this scaling mode and changing something?

And in general, does anyone have any feedback on these issues?

This isn’t a specific answer, but there is an open issue for improving support for HiDPI displays.

Ah–based on a quick look at that thread, it looks like it’s not a simple matter. :/

I may end up just adding a note to the game’s page indicating that it doesn’t behave properly under such conditions, then…

I have a laptop with a high DPI screen, so I will try your game and see if there is a bug in Panda with “confined” mode here.

Thanks, I appreciate that! :slight_smile:

I played it with a 200% scale factor on a 3000x2000 display on Windows 10. I encountered no problems other than the already reported issue with the cutscene at a 3:2 aspect ratio, the fact that the default window size is pretty small on such a large display, and that the window is by default aligned to the left edge of the screen (but judging by the value in the .prc file, this looks to be intentional).

However, I could confirm with some tests that the confined mode doesn’t properly change the confinement area. I’ve filed an issue for that:

Ah, thank you for all of that! :slight_smile:

That is good to read. :slight_smile:

That is something that I still intend to get around to looking at–thank you for the mention of the aspect-ratio, which should help! :slight_smile:

Honestly, I think that both were fairly hastily-chosen values, set just before the demo’s launch. ^^;

With the system now reporting valid resolutions under Ubuntu, I can probably now examine the current screen-size to choose a better initial size for the window, at the least…

Ah, I see! Thank you for catching and filing that, then! :slight_smile: