3ds max 9 -> egg -> Panda3D without textures.

Hi all,

I’m new in the forum so I don’t know if this post is correcty located… hope so!

I’m new in Panda3D too so my question is very simple:

I have a 3ds max 9 model and I have exported with the exporter plugin that came with Panda3D 1.7 but… [color=red]where are the materials (textures)??

Please, could anybody explain me how to get the .egg with textures?? ([color=red]detailed please, don’t forget that I’m noobie =)!)

Hello from Spain =)!

Have looked at this?
panda3d.org/manual/index.php/C … Studio_Max

Using a standard material put your textures in the slots:

Diffuse Slot = Color

Bump Slot = Normal

Self-Illumination Slot = Glow

Specular Color Slot = Gloss

Opacity Slot = Modulate

Other material properties (ambient, diffuse,specular color, opacity %, specular level, glossiness, wire or 2-sided flag etc.)don’t get exported. Some versions of the plugin didn’t export vertex colour.

Oh… and have you moved your models after exporting them? It might be just that the path to the textures changed (they are relative).

Yes, I have looked at that and I could “install” the plugin in 3ds Max 9 and export my model but without textures. I didn’t understand that tutorial at all 'cause I’m Spanish and my English is limited…

Please, could you explain me more detailed how I put that options??

I’ll try your solution then and feedback.

Thanks!! =)

Please, answer me, I need help!! =(…

There are usually two different reasons that textures are not found after conversion.

(1) They were not properly applied in the Max file. Not all texture modes can be converted to Panda (or any other 3-D engine). In particular, make sure the textures are UV-mapped.

(2) The textures were, in fact, converted, but the paths are incorrect. Open your egg file with a text file. Does it begin with a number of entries? If so, check that the filename given for each entry is correct.

David

Thanks a lot, I get nearly what I wanted!!

But there’s still any problem: I have a large texture of grave and I want to make a large plane to simulate the floor of a street (for example). The problem is that the texture consists in lots of rocks and I want to make them smaller so I tried to increment the tiling in the “Diffuse color slot -> bitmap” (where I put the texture) and it doesn’t affect when I make the export

How can I export it correctly? Maybe the correct question is: How can scale the texture (where I increment tiling) to make the export correctly???

Thanks a lot!! Don’t forget that I’m using 3ds Max 9.

Tilling like that won’t work. Add a UVW Mapping modifier and set tilling there.

I don’t know how to add modifiers to the texture. Could you tell me how can I do that??

Thanks =)!!

Okay, I found information and I did it!!

Thanks =)!

Hello, related to the mapping issue, I also have a question. I’m trying to apply textures to a simple box in 3DSMax using a UVW mapping and Edit Mesh in order to apply materials to each side. So I create a material for each face using different images, but when I export the model for Panda, only the top face texture is present, and it’s spread over the whole model. So if I want to apply textures to a model do I have to make only one bitmap and map parts of it on each face?

Thanks in advance.

Multipart/Sub-Object don’t get exported very well (…not at all).

The short answer is: Yes, 1 texture per mesh.

You could split your mesh into separate objects, and give each of these objects (faces)a different texture but don’t do that. Here’s why (pdf): developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/823 … hBatch.pdf

What I do to solve your problem is to “convert to editable poly” your mesh and then split it by polygons with “Detach” tool.

I said that but I have a problem and its that when I want to insert some bones, if I have had split a mesh in order to insert 2 (or more) textures, when I use that bones to rotate or something like that it’s like my character has “broken” his legs… I don’t know if I’m showing what I want to mean, better I put a picture:

[size=200]I need help[/size]!! How to solve this in 3ds Max 9!! But I don’t want to eliminate the 2 textures!!

Note: I do the split in order to export succesfully my model with more than one texture!!

Combine your 2 textures into 1 in a image editing program then use a UVW mapping or UVW unwrap modifier to texture your model.

For example:
-texture

-model

Oh, thanks! That’s a solution but… it’s too complicated with a complex model…

Is there any other solution?

Well… em… No. This is the right way to do it.

You might do it the other way around, render a UV layout and then paint a texture in a image editing program (photoshop, GIMP, etc).

Ask Google about UVW mapping, pelt mapping, unwrap UVW and texture atlases.

Here’s a couple of tutorials I found:
waylon-art.com/uvw_tutorial/uvwtut_01.html
republicofcode.com/tutorials … w_mapping/
escalight.com/tutorials/3dsm … p-uvw.html

Thanks for the links!! They’re useful!

I’ll try to follow the first one!