Wont install on Ubuntu 11.10

Been trying to install on Oneiric for a while now, and just wont work. After opening the deb file, and clicking install, it just greys out the button and does nothing.

The info says “Dependency is not satisfiable: libavcodec52 (>= 4:0.6-1~)|libavcodec-extra-52 (>= 4:0.6-1~)” So I’m guessing that has something to do with it

What do I need to do to fix this, if it’s fixable?

[ubuntu 11.10 install fail)

Please use the search button.

That didn’t help at all. How do I uninstall and re install those packages?

You could install the devel version of Panda3D, there are Oneiric builds of the devel version.

How do I install the devel version? I can’t find anything on how to do it…

It is the same as the non-devel versions. But, when you are in the download page, just click on devel instead of 1.7.2 to obtain devel versions.

Oh, okay. Thanks, I’ll try that then (:

Build: panda3d1.8_1.8.0+cvs20111206~oneiric51_amd64.deb
Following the installation process “The Installation Process - Linux”
As there’s no samples for 1.8 I downloaded samples for 1.7.2

$ python Tut-Boxing-Robots.py
DirectStart: Starting the game.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Tut-Boxing-Robots.py", line 7, in <module>
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/directbase/DirectStart.py", line 3, in <module>
    from direct.showbase import ShowBase
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 25, in <module>
    from direct.interval import IntervalManager
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/interval/IntervalManager.py", line 142, in <module>
    ivalMgr = IntervalManager(1)
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/interval/IntervalManager.py", line 32, in __init__
    self.setEventQueue(self.eventQueue)
AttributeError: 'IntervalManager' object has no attribute 'setEventQueue'

OK, I thought it’s just incompatible samples version. Going to the next steps in tutorial panda3d.org/manual/index.php … ng_Panda3D
Both are failing:

from direct.showbase.ShowBase import ShowBase

class MyApp(ShowBase):

def __init__(self):
        ShowBase.__init__(self)

app = MyApp()
app.run()
import direct.directbase.DirectStart

run()

with the same error:

$ python hello_panda.py 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "hello_panda.py", line 1, in <module>
    from direct.showbase.ShowBase import ShowBase
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 25, in <module>
    from direct.interval import IntervalManager
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/interval/IntervalManager.py", line 142, in <module>
    ivalMgr = IntervalManager(1)
  File "/usr/share/panda3d/direct/interval/IntervalManager.py", line 32, in __init__
    self.setEventQueue(self.eventQueue)
AttributeError: 'IntervalManager' object has no attribute 'setEventQueue'

My machine:
Linux 3.0.0-13-generic #22-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 2 13:27:26 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
What I’m doing wrong?

This is very strange; it appears that something is wrong with your build. Hmm, I don’t know what could cause this kind of low-level problem.

Did your build say it was generating Python interfaces, or did it say it was omitting Python? Maybe it somehow failed to detect Python?

Can you run pview successfully?

David

Looks like he used a buildbot build, which was certainly compiled with Python support.

Same problem for revision 404 and 406 win32 build. In the 404 I just comment the call and run into the issue that the Texture.store method was missing too.

Same problem with version 20111207, looks ok with version 20111205.

edit : on ubuntu maverick i386

Shoot, we must have broken something recently. Let me investigate.

David

Found it. I committed a fix, but not in time for today’s buildbot, so try tomorrow’s and it should be better.

David

Yes, new build (panda3d1.8_1.8.0+cvs20111210~oneiric55_amd64) works both with samples and tutorial. Thanks!

Hi there! I experience the following problem: I downloaded the DEB of Panda3D, It installed. But i don’t see it in my applications menu. Folders do not show anything…

Hi, welcome to the forums! Next time, please create your own thread, your question is unrelated to this thread.

I’m not sure what you’re expecting to see. Panda3D is an SDK, not an application, so I’m not sure what we’d even put in the applications menu if we were to add an item there.