Panda3D 1.1.0 released --- Finally!

I finally got Panda3D 1.1.0 (beta) out the door. It’s not perfect, but it’s reasonably stable, and it’s super-cool. Kudos to the Disney team for all their hard work this summer! Check out the downloads section.

• Josh

and suddenly the light came!!!

Thanks

Well done Disney VR, Josh Yelon and Carnegie Mellon ETC…

I’m sure I’m not the only one who appreciates all the time and hard work you all put into this free 3d environment! :smiley: I’m looking forward to exploring the new tutorials and Panda changes.

Steve

Just a question, what are the requirements in term of Vertex and pixel shaders (like 1.0, 2.0 etc…)? because the tutorials keep telling me my video card does not support shaders or i know it does (to a limited extends however , it’s a Geforce TI 4200 plus)

Amazing :smiley: :slight_smile:

I’ll be checking it out inmediatly, donwloading right now… :laughing:

Toontastic!

Perfect.

Manakel:

The GeForce 4 does support shaders, but it only supports fairly simple ones. The demo programs I’ve written require more power than that.

There is a method, “supportsBasicShaders”, which returns true if the video card supports ARB_fragment_program and ARB_vertex_program or the equivalent. This function will return false on a GeForce 4. You can still try to use shaders if this function returns false — it’s just that you won’t be able to use very complicated shaders.

Hooray! Thank you!

IP - yes, it is. The program is “packpanda.exe”, type

packpanda -h

to see the help. To see it in action, download the Airblade source, put it in a directory called “Airblade”, then type:

packpanda Airblade

• Josh

Thanks josh, so i just have to replace the shader from the demos by shader i write with keeping my card feature in mind…

Manakel - if you can get those demo programs working with GF4 shaders, then by all means, send in the shaders.

Ah… nice :slight_smile:

Does this mean major changes in the manuals section IV-A till IV-K?

If yes I need to rewrite them :confused:

However, I am wondering if there will come a package tool for linux too… (haven’t installed the package right now)

Regards, Bigfoot29

PS: Would be nice to see a short addition that allows ppl in the Section about Fog to test it. What needs to be imported? Sorry for asking such noob questions… have had no time messing around with panda… most of the time still working @ the translation :frowning:

Josh, David, and the rest of the Panda Team: Thank you for a job extremely well done. Big kudos to you! :slight_smile: Panda3D 1.1 is super-cool indeed, especially since I can finally try my shader stuff without having to figure out compiling from CVS. :wink:

Bigfoot: You’re a diligent guy, the German Panda community owes you a lot - no matter if they speak English well enough or not. Kudos to you, too! :slight_smile:

I don’t mean to clutter up the thread or anything, but does anyone know if the ATI Radeon 9200 128 MB video card works with the shaders? Whenever I try to run teh demos I get error messages, but is there a driver that would work?

Thanks.

No, I’m afraid that the 9200 did have an early form of shaders, but it was a proprietary shader language. The Cg compiler, made by nvidia, doesn’t support it.

dam my last post was eaten up by a monster.
I think there is another feature in panda 1.1 which is very important

nodepath.setPythonTag(‘name’,objec) that allow to store custom python object in the scenegraph… am i right?

Manakel - let me go add that to the “feature list” thread.