Getting started on a 2-(and a half)-D side scroller

Hello All,

I’m new to Panda3D, but have about 10 years of experience in coding (especially C++) and roughly 1 year experience in game development.

To get familiar with the engine I’ve thoroughly read the manual and gone over several topics in the forum.
I still feel a bit confused as to how exactly to start with my new game (there’s a lot to learn in Panda)
It’s going to be a 2.5d side scroller - by that I mean that the characters and gameplay will be 2d but I’d like the platforms themselves (and possibly other objects in the background) to be 3d.

I would appreciate it if anyone could point me to any tutorials/code samples/etc. which would help me get a better grasp as to how to go about such a project.
(I’m guessing that billboards would be a good way to make the characters (though I’m not sure how I can do collision detection with billboards), but I have no clue as to how to create the platforms, and how to have them interact with the characters).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also: As I am very pro efficient in c++ so I was naturally thinking of working in c++, but after reasing a bit on the forums it seems that Python might be a better way to go (I have no Python knowledge). I was wondering if any c++ coders here tried working with Panda using Python and how easy the switch was.
I was also wondering how big a Python-Panda game setup file can be (I’m guessing much larger than a c+±Panda setup).

Thanks in advance,
Ogga

1. You can always add invisible spheres to billboards to make them collide. Also since you are in 2d you could use a “grid” based collision system.

2. Alot of C++ coders don’t want to learn python. I think you will get mixed replies. I think python is wonderful and lets you go very fast - too fast some times.

3. Most of the game size going to be art assets. Also with the new plug-in system you might not even need to distribute full-panda3d by yourself.