particle effects

I am having trouble using partilce effects, when i open the scene editor and click on particle is say that there is an error. :smiling_imp:

Are you asking for help tracking down the error? If so, it might be useful to tell us what the error message was.

When you say “scene editor”, do you really mean the Particle Panel? I’m not sure if you can load particle effects directly into the Scene Editor. (But maybe you can–I’m not actually that familiar with the Scene Editor myself.)

David

Error: 1
TypeError Exception in Tk callback
Function: <function at 0x0381E438> (type: <type ‘function’>)
Args: ()
Traceback (innermost last):
File “C:\Panda3D-1.0.5\Pmw\Pmw_1_2\lib\PmwBase.py”, line 1747, in call
return apply(self.func, args)
File “SceneEditor.py”, line 337, in
button = Button(buttonFrame, image = element, command=lambda n=i : self.buttonPushed(n))
File “SceneEditor.py”, line 378, in buttonPushed
self.openParticlePanel()
File “SceneEditor.py”, line 1190, in openParticlePanel
self.particlePanel=seParticlePanel.ParticlePanel()
File “seParticlePanel.py”, line 51, in init
pe.reparentTo(self.emitter)
File “NodePath”, line 10373, in reparentTo
None
File “NodePath”, line 1075, in __overloaded_reparentTo_ptrNodePath_ptrConstNodePath
None
TypeError: Invalid argument 0, expected

this is what it says in the video tutorial he just clicks it and it works fine.

It looks like the particle editor has been broken since last spring. Unfortunately, the SceneEditor doesn’t get a lot of attention these days, so when it breaks it’s difficult to find someone who will fix it.

Someone else has already reported exactly the same problem you’re getting:

https://discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=351

You can try to fix it, if you feel up to it. Edit seParticlePanel.py, and change the two lines like:

self.emitter=loader.loadModel("sphere")

To:

self.emitter=loader.loadModel("models/misc/sphere")

This happens in two different places in the file.

I don’t know if that will completely solve your problem; it might just get a little bit further and crash somewhere else. But at least you can rest assured that you’re not doing anything wrong; the code really is broken. :slight_smile:

David

As a side note, incase you were not aware, you can use the particlePanel externally from the sceneEditor. Its located in “//pandaInstallDirectory/samples/Feature-Tutorials–Particles/”.

Fun to play about with :slight_smile:

Have fun!

so if no one pays attention to the scene editor then how do they make games? Sorry this is a very noob question

The Panda3D SceneEditor, such as it is now, has not yet been used to make any games, to my knowledge. That’s not to say that it couldn’t be used to make many excellent games.

At the Disney VR Studio, we started working on our games before the Panda3D SceneEditor was available, so we had to write our own scene editor program. I imagine other people have done similarly.

CMU wanted to provide a scene editor program with Panda that could be used by people so they wouldn’t have to do this work. That project was the SceneEditor that now ships with Panda3D. It has been written, but the person who wrote it originally is no longer at CMU, and as of yet no one has stepped up to keep it working.

David