AMD64 x2 Install to Kubuntu Edgy

I am running an AMD64 x2 AM2 with 2GB ram. I have installed Kubuntu Edgy.

I have tried both ways of installing Panda3d but with no luck. I would give more info but my computer is in the shop with a broken cpu fan. What is the next step? I would even be happy with a .deb file!!

Thanks Douglas

You could, of course, download the source package and compile it yourself.

These are the 2 ways I was talking about. The 2 ways of compiling. Neather worked for me.
Douglas

Can you describe the error message you got/what didn’t work? Otherwise there wouldn’t be much we can do for you.

makepanda/makepanda.py --everything
Checking for MAYA6
Checking for MAYA65
Checking for MAYA7

Makepanda Initial Status Report
Makepanda: Compiler: LINUX
Makepanda: Optimize: 3
Makepanda: Keep Pkg: PYTHON ZLIB PNG JPEG TIFF VRPN FMODEX NVIDIACG NSPR OPENSSL FREETYPE FFTW BISON FLEX FFMPEG PANDATOOL PANDAAPP
Makepanda: Omit Pkg: MILES MAYA6 MAYA65 MAYA7 MAX6 MAX7 MAX8 DX8 DX9
Makepanda: Verbose vs. Quiet Level: 1
Makepanda: Don’t generate API reference manual
Makepanda: Version ID: 1.3.0
Makepanda: MAYA6 not yet supported under linux
Makepanda: I have automatically added this command-line option: --no-maya6
Makepanda: MAYA65 not yet supported under linux
Makepanda: I have automatically added this command-line option: --no-maya65
Makepanda: MAYA7 not yet supported under linux
Makepanda: I have automatically added this command-line option: --no-maya7
Makepanda: MAX6 not yet supported under linux
Makepanda: I have automatically added this command-line option: --no-max6
Makepanda: MAX7 not yet supported under linux
Makepanda: I have automatically added this command-line option: --no-max7
Makepanda: MAX8 not yet supported under linux
Makepanda: I have automatically added this command-line option: --no-max8
Makepanda: makepanda currently does not support miles sound system
Makepanda: I have automatically added this command-line option: --no-miles
Makepanda: Caution: the built/lib directory is not in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Makepanda: or /etc/ld.so.conf. You must add it before using panda.

Generating dependencies…
g++ -ftemplate-depth-30 -fPIC -c -o built/tmp/dtoolbase_composite1.o -I"/usr/include/python2.5" -Ithirdparty/linux-libs-a/nspr/include -Ibuilt/tmp -Idtool/src/dtoolbase -Ibuilt/include -O2 -DBUILDING_DTOOL dtool/src/dtoolbase/dtoolbase_composite1.cxx
dtool/src/dtoolbase/atomicAdjustNsprImpl.I: In static member function ‘static void* AtomicAdjustNsprImpl::set_ptr(void*&, void*)’:
dtool/src/dtoolbase/atomicAdjustNsprImpl.I:75: error: cast from ‘void*’ to ‘PRInt32’ loses precision
Storing dependency cache.
Elapsed Time: 2 sec

The first step is to add the built/bin directory to your PATH. This
is not strictly necessary, you can run the panda programs by typing
their paths explicitly, but it is much more convenient to set the
PATH.

Second, add the built/lib directory to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH. This is
only necessary under Linux - Windows takes care of this automatically.
It is also possible to use the system ld.so.conf configuration file to
achieve the same effect, but LD_LIBRARY_PATH is more convenient for
quick-and-dirty testing.

How exactly to you do this?

I think I solved the dumb question::

sudo vim /etc/ld.so.conf

Then I added
/home/douglas/Desktop/panda3d-1.3.2/built/lib
and saved.

Is this all I have to do in this step?

Thanks Douglas

Adding to the PATH is NOT what the problem is right now, but a missing library.
I don’t know what library you’re missing, but I bet someone else here knows that.

And indeed, you can add to your path by adding to the ld.so.conf file, or you could do it in your console:
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/panda3d/lib
or something like that. But you don’t need to worry about that yet, you only need that AFTER the installation to RUN panda3d.

i think the library issue is different. that doesn’t look like an error, just a warning. LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH are different environment variables; PATH is the list of places to look when running programs, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is extra places to look for shared libraries. if that really is a problem you’d fix it in /etc/ld.so.conf but the installation step of the panda build ought to install everything in the correct places anyway, so you shouldn’t have to do that. you would only need to do anything if you didn’t do an ‘install’, and just tried to run panda out of your home directory (if, say, you don’t have admin privs).

the real error that’s breaking the build is lower down -

error: cast from ‘void*’ to ‘PRInt32’ loses precision

in some function called AtomicAdjustNsprImpl::set_ptr()

that error looks like sloppy code; looks like there’s a pointer to some memory that’s been allocated and for reason it’s being cast to a 32 bit integer (maybe to do sneaky pointer arithmetic to iterate through an array or something). but, it assumes that pointers are 32 bit integers which is not always true.

where is it not true? on a 64 bit AMD X2 processor, for one. someone needs to update whatever that thing is to be 64 bit compatible; or, you need to find a way to fool the build system into doing a 32 bit build. i bet.

(an authoritative answer from someone who has yet to actually compile panda, ever :slight_smile:

FYI, this pointer casting was due to the use of the NSPR third-party library, which provided only a 32-bit implementation for the atomic adjust operation. We have since eliminated the dependency on NSPR, which incidentally eliminated the need for this “sloppy code”, and solved this particular build issue.

David

I just wanted to tell anyone following this that a post under a new topic has 64 bit working on Edgy Linux. I tried it and it works. I don’t know about the new Gutsy though.

Thank god(and anyone else that helped) Panda3d is now working on 64 bit!

Douglas