Grabbing Panda3d 1.1.0?

Hi everyone!

I’m really glad to see the new 1.2 build of Panda3d out! I’m looking forward to playing around with it and seeing what’s new.

Unfortunately, I managed to build myself into a corner this week, and my timing couldn’t be more perfect: I need to re-install my build of Panda3d 1.1.0 :wink:. I’d jump straight to 1.2.1, but we’re right on the cusp of building the installer for a project, and experience has taught me never to trust any brand-new version of any technology on live code. I can’t seem to get a copy of the 1.1.0 installer from the website any longer; does anyone know where I could find a copy?

Thank you for the help!
-Mark

Try:

panda3d.org/oldversions/panda3d-1.1.0.exe

• Josh

Hmmm… is there might be a interest in creating a archive folder somewhere where ppl can get the desired version of Panda3D. I don’t know why someone would love to have 1.1(.0) - and thus the beta - rather than the reworked (and thus more bug-free) version 1.2.1 of Panda3D, but anyways… we are talking here about older versions (Panda3D 1.0.4 and such…) as well.

However, just a thought. No clue if the small(?) demand does justify the work…

Regards, Bigfoot29

The archive folder sounds like an excellent idea!

Bigfoot, to answer your question: while 1.2.1 is awesome (and I’m using it for my personal projects), it does apparently make some modifications to the underlying Python object model that cause our current project at the company where I work to fail to run. I haven’t had time to post a proper bug description, but a short synopsis is as follows: we utilize the pygame library to capture joystick input via an object that is subclassed like so:

class Joystick(DirectObject):

While this construct (in the specific context it shows up in our code) works fine in Panda3d 1.1.0, it dies on the first instantiation of the object in Panda3d 1.2.1. This isn’t nearly enough information to debug the problem, I know (I think it’s context-specific, having something to do with the order in which we import libraries earlier in the code), and I’m sure it’s completely possible to fix it. But since we’re working on a project for a client that should be completed ASAP (and I can’t predict what other changes may exist to the object model, since I didn’t see this one coming), I can’t justify the time expenditure to debug this problem right now when a viable solution is to keep using Panda3d 1.1.0. I look forward to getting this project working under 1.2.1 as soon as it’s completed and shipped to our client, but right now the priority is to get it working by any means necessary :wink:

There’s a larger moral to this story, which is “Anytime you build a large project that depends on several libraries (especially in a business context), make sure you retain the installers for the specific versions of the libraries that you used.”

If this message seems cryptic, it’s because it is; I’ll be at liberty to speak more on this topic in a couple of weeks, after we’ve finished our Top Secret Project (cue evil laughter) :laughing:

Take care,
Mark

If by “dies”, you mean prints out an error message along the lines of init having the wrong number of arguments, then you’re experiencing problems related to the use of “import *”. You’ve probably accidentally imported DirectObject, the module, thereby overwriting DirectObject, the class.

We’re planning a long-term solution. Until then, make all your imports explicit.

• Josh