Windows install issue: DLL load failed

I just did a fresh install of Panda3d-1.1.0 on Windows XP
and well, it won’t seem to work… there is an issue for about everything I try. This is what i get when I try to run what should be the most basic thing:

C:\Panda3D-1.1.0\samples\Basic-Tutorials--Lesson-1-Scene-Graph>ppython Tut-Step-1-Blank-Window.py
DirectStart: Starting the game.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Tut-Step-1-Blank-Window.py", line 11, in ?
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
  File "C:\Panda3D-1.1.0\direct\src\directbase\DirectStart.py", line 3, in ?
    from direct.showbase import ShowBase
  File "C:\Panda3D-1.1.0\direct\src\showbase\ShowBase.py", line 6, in ?
    from pandac.PandaModules import *
  File "C:\Panda3D-1.1.0\pandac\PandaModules.py", line 2, in ?
    from libpandaModules import *
  File "C:\Panda3D-1.1.0\pandac\libpandaModules.py", line 1, in ?
    from libpanda import *
ImportError: DLL load failed: Invalid access to memory location.

C:\Panda3D-1.1.0\samples\Basic-Tutorials--Lesson-1-Scene-Graph>

I have a brand-new graphics card, that is fully functional afaik

let me know if there is any other info you need

That’s very peculiar. What happens if you install panda 1.0.5?

• Josh

I’ll only be able to tell you if 1.0.5 works later (in an hour or so). I don’t have access to that computer right now…

anyway, I’m on a windows 98 pc now, and although to me this is less urgent, I thought you might want to know:

• the path variable is located somewhere else, or it’s not there at all
  • if you cd to the panda3D/bin directory and run a script from that point (with a relative path ofcourse) the following error pops up:
DirectStart: Starting the game.
Warning: DirectNotify: category 'Interval' already exists
Known pipe types:
  wglGraphicsPipe
(3 aux display modules not yet loaded.)
:display:wgldisplay(error): Could not get any OpenGL pixel format.
C:\PANDA3D-1.1.0\direct\src\showbase\ShowBase.py:363: RuntimeWarning: tp_compare
 didn't return -1, 0 or 1
  if pipe.getType() == pipeType:
:display:windisplay(error): LoadLibrary failed for ddraw.dll, error=1114
:12-31-2005 11:10:35 ShowBase(warning): Unable to open 'onscreen' window.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "../samples/GreetingCard/GreetingCard.py", line 1, in ?
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
  File "C:\PANDA3D-1.1.0\direct\src\directbase\DirectStart.py", line 4, in ?
    ShowBase.ShowBase()
  File "C:\PANDA3D-1.1.0\direct\src\showbase\ShowBase.py", line 192, in __init__

self.openDefaultWindow()
  File "C:\PANDA3D-1.1.0\direct\src\showbase\ShowBase.py", line 517, in openDefa
ultWindow
    raise StandardError, 'Could not open window.'
StandardError: Could not open window.

I uninstalled the recent version, and installed the one you told me to (1.0.5), and it does the trick… I was able to run the greetingcard thing.

any idea on how to get the new one to run?

I’m supposed to go with 1.0.5? :stuck_out_tongue:

1.1.0 is still beta, even though the version numer doesn’t reflect it directly. So yes, unless you intend to use some specific 1.1 functionality, you better stick with 1.0.5 by now.

Any idea when I can expect it to work? It’s just that I would like to use Cell Shading

I guess no one really knows why it’s not working for you–Panda3D 1.1.0 seems to run fine for just about everyone else.

It’s a peculiar failure mode. Maybe there’s some naming conflict with another DLL you’ve already got on your system? Is it possible that you’ve already gone one of the DLL’s that Panda3D installs?

Also, does pview work by itself? And can you pview an egg file successfully?

David

I just remembered. A couple of days ago I reinstalled the gimp, and there was a DLL conflict with panda3d then, I’ll try removing it, and installing panda1.1 some time. (haven’t got time right now, I’ll probably be able to test tomorrow evening)

I’ll try the pview too…

I’ve had this issue before. The gimp dlls do in fact kill panda.

I’m not so sure about that. I believe that I’ve renamed most of the panda dll’s. For example, panda doesn’t use “libtiff.dll” any more… it uses “libpandatiff.dll”. There are a few dll’s I couldn’t rename (for example, Cg.dll). But I’m not sure if they’re used by the gimp.

• Josh

you can rename them? How?

anyway, I just fiddled around a bit. If, in config.prc, I change:

framebuffer-mode rgba double-buffer depth hardware

by

framebuffer-mode rgba double-buffer depth software

it kind of works, although this old pc here has crap video drivers and stuff, but it works… I’ll try it out on my other box some time…

I downloaded the source code for “libtiff”, and modified it so that it builds “libpandatiff” instead. Then, I linked panda with that. I did the same with every library for which I could obtain source.

• Josh