Win Server 2008: "python.exe has stopped working"

New to Panda3D, but long time game/graphics developer.

Working on a WebApp that will use Panda3D for visualizations, I’ve successfully installed Panda3D on OS X and WinXP development boxes, but the WebApp server is a virtual Windows Server 2008 inside the RackSpace cloud. Running the SDK installer there gives me a “python.exe has stopped working” during the tail end of the installation, when installing the “egg” files.

Attempting to run any of the samples on the virtual Windows Server 2008 box ends with a “Application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found”. Considering that this is a “Windows Server”, and not “Windows 7”, is that the right dll?

I realize that the web server does not really need to be able to run Panda3D applications, but I can see end users wanting to run our WebApp on a Windows Server box… so, it the diagnostic asking for MSVCR71.dll correct?

Just tried taking a copy of MSVCR71.dll from my development Win32 box and placing it into the C:\Windows\SysWOW32 directory and calling regsvr32.exe to register the dll, but that triggers this error message:

The module "c:\Windows\SysWOW32\MSVCR71.dll was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that MSVCR71.dll is a valid DLL or OCX file and try again.

Hmm, it appears that something somewhere still has a dependency on the old runtime library MSCR71.dll. (The “7” has nothing to do with Windows7; it refers to the version of the compiler that produced the code.)

This is probably a mistake in our distribution somewhere, but copying the dll should have been sufficient. Perhaps you copied it incorrectly (e.g. as a text file)?

Oh, wait–which version of Panda did you install?

David

I installed the PandaSDK 1.6.2 version.

(Thanks for your help!)

Reading the developer blog, I'm wondering if I should be using 1.7?

You indeed should probably be using 1.7, though I don’t know if that will have any effect on this particular issue. It’s certainly worth a try.

It’s also worth taking a closer look at the DLL that you copied, and making sure that it is in fact unchanged from the original file.

David

The dll I copied was first from a Win32XP box I have, and I did a ‘diff’ against that with another I downloaded from www.dll-files.com - and they were identical.

Thinking there might be a 64-bit version floating around, I tracked down a file from Microsoft that was identified as the 64-bit version, but that was also byte-to-byte the same as the msvcr71.dll I already had.

Regardless, I tried all three versions, even though diff reported them the same…