Wiimote games

I am quite interested in developing some games with Wiimote and also test out the crayon3d toolkit.

Have you ever integrated with a wiimote with panda for your games ? Any experience to share ?

My PC is quite old and does not equipped with bluetooth. I learn that there is a compatibility list of hardware
wiibrew.org/w/index.php?title=Li … th_Devices

But I am not sure if I can get one locally. Do you know if it is that sensitive for selecting one, or I can pick any available devices on the market and it shall work in general ? I am on Windows XP.

i have made my bachelor final project using 2 wiimotes (http://www.nouser.org/DW/doku.php?id=projects:bachelor:riimod) and panda3d, so i’ve got quite a lot of experience (writing a wiimote driver in python) and working with it about 2 months.

First you should stick with the list of working bluetooth devices. The standart-bluetooth windows driver is incomplete, it’s missing the protocol that the wiimote is using. Probably all of these bluetooth-sticks are delivered with the bluesoleil or widcomm bluetooth drivers (which are complete). Iirc some of the wiimote-windows-drivers implement this protocol themself, and thus work without the widcomm/bluesoleil-bluetooth-driver, but i have not tested that!

Thank you very much for your advice. I will get the hardware configuration done first.

Your projects looks great ! Too bad that the document is in Germany.

Unfortunately I am not able to get those certified sticks. What is the chance of a local brand bluetooth stick ?

Check if they are delivered with the bluesoleil or widcomm software. Otherwise it’s hard to give any hint.

These usb dongles seems not come with any software.

it would appear as though widcomm is at least partially free: broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php

and bluesoleil can be purchased seperately… although they both have a list of compatible devices for plug n play…

clcheung, I have messed around a bit in python (not panda, yet) with wii motes. I just went and bought a random USB dongle, and it came with bluesoliel drivers. I think widcomm do work as well though. I look forwards to seeing what you come up with :stuck_out_tongue:

ic. I will go ahead to get one to test it out.

The Adapter I currently use on the Windows Platform (XP/Vista) / Linux usage is confirmed but I haven’t tested it myself.

IoGear GBU221WM, Bought it right off the shelf at the local Walmart a few months back. It comes with the WIDCOMM 5 Driver and I’ve used it through GlovePie for playing games on GAMETAP. I’m new to PANDA3D, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. As far as I know it’s very compatible with the Wiimotes because it uses the same model chipset as the Nintendo Wii Console does. Current model I believe is 321 but that should work no problems either. I think that pretty much covers anyone in the States being able to get their hands on one. Can’t turn around and not come across a Walmart.

John

Thank you for the tips ! Unfortunately I live in Hong Kong. Shops are not selling the qualified/known brands for small gadgets.

OK I am interested in this topic. My two nephews have a Wii. But you guys are talking WAY over my head. Can any one of you be a bit more… ah basic.

Some panda code posted would help. As well as a URL to a site that explains basic Wii remote programing.

Thanks.

Wiimote itself is very powerful. “It contains a 1024x768 infrared camera with built-in hardware blob tracking of up to 4 points at 100Hz. This significantly out performs any PC “webcam” available today. It also contains a +/-3g 8-bit 3-axis accelerometer also operating at 100Hz and an expandsion port for even more capability.”

You shall check these interesting projects:
johnnylee.net/projects/wii/

I have not checked the details of
discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=6225
but it looks like it is quite interesting.

I have not got my hardware yet. I will post some code later when it is ready.