Where's da Trees?

Greetings,
I have armed myself with The GIMP, Blender, L3DT, Python 3 and Panda3D (for Python 3). 8) Now what do I do for trees? Any suggestions? :confused:

If you’re a programming/math type, you might want to look at the Fractal-Plants sample program that comes with Panda. It’s a simple procedural tree generator, which could provide a starting point for customizations.

As for manually modeling trees, maybe others here can help?

There’s a free program called tree[d] that I used in the past that produced nice but simple tree models. Unfortunately, it no longer seems to be available from the author’s web site, but perhaps you can find a download somewhere on the web.

Thanks guys, your time is much appreciated. As you can see from the list of programs so far, I am constructing a game on the cheap but even if I went mad and bought a program like Speed Tree (and the trees) or Xfrog, I am uncertain as to which would work best and what format to import into Panda3D. Would the trees be best as individual objects or incorporated in the terrain file? With the tools available is that even possible?

I would definitely prefer a freebie program as it would be a fine showcase of the ability and generosity of the non-commercial programming world. An entire game with free software! The problem as I see it is that many tree programs that I might use are written in Python 2. Some do not survive the Python 2 - 3 converter. Others are very basic and the editing tools are acceptable though construction of each type and variation of tree and the placement of each individual tree is mind numbing.

I did considerable research before bothering the community, but there doesn’t seem to be anything I could use. :confused:

Post Scriptum: Your ref to Tree(d) encouraged me to look for it again and this time I found it - web.archive.org/web/20130915030 … reed.about

Just trying it out now.

Tree(d) is a nice piece of software and I thank you for highlighting it. But I now have to individually place trees unless there is some method I am unaware of where I could paint them on a very large scenery (a world in fact) ?

How you approach this may depend somewhat on the density of trees that you intend: If you simply want a few trees here and there–as might be used to depict an open park, or the exterior of a house, for example–then incorporating the trees into the scene (whether by modelling and placing them in your modelling program or by creating a secondary program to “bake” them into your scene egg file) might work for you.

However, if you’re planning to depict a forest, and one of significant size, then you might have more work ahead than just creating and placing the trees.

Specifically, you might want to look into a level-of-detail approach: nearby trees are rendered at high quality, while more distant trees are presented in increasingly-simple forms. Done well, this could potentially allow you to render a good-looking forest at decent speed. However, I’m dubious of this being terribly fast if written in Python–you may want to look at making a C++ module for such forest-rendering.

It’s possible that there’s a free middleware API that will do at least some of this for you; I don’t know of one offhand, but perhaps someone else will.

As to placement, if you don’t want to place them individually, you could look into a semi-automatic placement system: create an image in which each pixel corresponds with a small chunk of the surface of your world, then use a colour-code to paint in regions in which trees should be spawned (for example, you could use the green channel to specify the species of tree, and the blue channel to specify the average tree-density of the region). Then you have your program–whether an intermediate level-building program or your game itself–read that image and place trees accordingly.

Thanks, that’s quite clever! My Kung Fu instructor is from S. Africa so now that’s 2 people I know from there who are talented. 2/2 is a 100% score! :smiley: