What type of Visual Studio project?

I’m going through the manual in setting up the IDE with Visual Studio but it doesn’t specify what type of project to create. I tried it with a Win32 Console project and it will build with no errors but when I try to debug it in release mode I get an error message:

Unhandled exception at 0x7380af68 in Panda3D3.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x6f57206f.

I also tried it without debugging and the program says it stopped working when I try to run it. Am I creating it in the wrong type of project?

The type should be fine. Are you sure you’re using Visual Studio 2008, and removed NDEBUG from your preprocessor definitions?

I’m actually using visual studio 2010 as it says we could use it in the manual and thought you didn’t need to remove ndebug in version 1.7.0. I will try removing it to see if that resolves the issue.

Where does it say so in the manual? That needs to be corrected.

Here is the link which goes over setting up the IDE in Visual Studio and has a note about 2010 and how to set it up with it. panda3d.org/manual/index.php … tudio_2008

I was trying to see if I can find the NDEBUG macro but can’t seem to find it anywhere in the project. Can anyone tell me how I can find it so I get delete it from the project?

I was able to find NDEBUG but it still gives me the same error. So not sure what exactly the problem is. Has anyone been able to get 1.7 working with Visual Studio 2010 or just 2008?

I just realized that I don’t have the third party folder so could that be the reason why it’s not working correctly?

Well, I was able to get it working with VS2008 with no problem at all. I guess there are still some issues with 1.7 that is keeping it from working correctly in VS2010 so guess I’ll use 2008 until they update 1.7 to work with 2010.

It’s not a bug. It just doesn’t work with VS 2010, because Panda3D is compiled using VS 2008. It’s not supposed to work.

in visual studio 2008, i used …
new project -> visual c++ -> clr -> clr empty project
i added helloworld.cpp to run through the tutorials in the manual. and everything worked like a charm.