Webserver upgrade...

Sometime in the next day or two I’m going to be upgrading the panda webserver again. Ie, new OS. Basically, the machine will go offline for a few hours, and then it will reappear. Don’t be surprised.

PS: reason for upgrade: people constantly using download accelerators set to 100 or more concurrent threads, bringing webserver to its knees. The old OS doesn’t make it easy to compile apache plugins like mod_evasive, so I’m upgrading.

Thats kewl, hope the downtimes will be over after upgrade.

hmmm… never had that sort of trouble… (means downtimes) here in the past. Whenever I wanted to view the forums, they were there.

However, good luck updating. :slight_smile:

Regards, Bigfoot29

Maybe update the character encoding too

e.g. the page

panda3d.org/manual/index.php/S … _Parallels

claims that it is using charset iso-8859-1 but there are IMO some utf-8 characters (e.g. triple dots).

I think I’m going to take it one thing at a time… OS replacement first, web bug fixes later.

Anyhow, the downtime is going to begin soon.

UPDATE: I’m bringing the mysql database up read-only so that I do a proper backup. You will not be able to post, I think.

UPDATE 2: Well, that didn’t work. So instead, I took the server down for a few minutes, and copied all the files to the new machine. You’re still seeing the old machine. So don’t post anything - anything you post on this old machine will be lost.

UPDATE 3: I have locked all the forums except General Discussion. Please only post in this thread.

UPDATE 4: Never mind… I hit a snag. I’ve delayed the upgrade until tomorrow. I’ve reenabled the forums.

Hi.

In case I can help, lemme know… :slight_smile:

Regards, Bigfoot29

Nah, it’s something to do with a linux driver for a raid HD.

God, that was a pain. But, I think it’s OK now.

I have hooked up mod_dosevasive to prevent denial-of-service attacks. It’s got a bit of a hair-trigger right now. If you hit reload three or four times in a row on the same page in rapid succession, it will block you for 10 seconds. If you keep reloading during the 10-second period, it will keep extending the 10 seconds, so if that happens, just sit back for 15. Let me know if it happens to you, if so, I’ll make it a little less twitchy.

Update: I decided the hair-trigger was too twitchy. I took it down a notch.

When I came in this morning, the machine was locked hard. I think the problem may be related to an incompatibility between the bios and the kernel. I’m going to dork around with it and see what happens.

Well, apparently, I haven’t found the cause of the hard-locking. It might be this, I’m testing:

www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. … CTR-ERRN91

Well, thats it about INTEL CPUs :wink:

Heh… sorry, can’t help THERE :smiley: - I don’t use Intels here. :frowning:#

Regards, Bigfoot29