Updates to the max egger

Hi all,

As you may know the PandaSE team here at CMU has been working on Panda most of this semester, mainly on maya2egg and some shader system additions. However, I wanted to take the time to introduce some changes to the max egger we have made as well. Here is a list of the changes you will see once the source code is committed into the CVS tree.

Collision tags:
-the previous checkbox UI for tagging objects in a max scene as collision objects has been replaced by a Maxscipt, called TagSelectedObjects.ms. This was done to fix a bug where only the first object in any given max scene would be tagged as a certain type of collider.
-If you’d rather tag objects manually you can use the User Defined properties dialog on any max object to assign a tag. (NOTE: the manual page for this syntax/process is on it’s way in the next few days)

Locators:
-Point objects (a type of Max helper object) are now supported as “locators” in any scene egged with the static option. They essentially represent a point in space inside the egg that you may want to use. (perhaps to load geometry into a level inside Panda later on).

UV Support:
-Any object now gets UV coordinates regardless if it has a standard material on it. (prior to now if you created a plane it wouldn’t get UV’s and you would not be able to use it for texture swapping unless you stuck a dummy texture on it first)

Hope everyone likes the improvements, and this keeps all of us going until Collada support takes over soon. Thanks

~Andrew

That’s good news.

Could the exporter read custom User Defined properties? Let’s say I was to write there " magfilter { NEAREST }" or " collide-mask { 0x001 }" or " { axis }" or something like that… could that be also written in the egg?

Is any support for multi-texturing planed?
Multiple UV’s, named UV (now they all are named “m1”- not sure if that has anything to do with… well anything at all),texture stages, combine and blend mods… I’m not sure what I’m talking about, max exporter didn’t support this stuff so I don’t know how it all works.

If I can use the topic to make a one-point-wish-list I’d wish for a “Panda-Material”, with all the slots for maps panda uses (diffuse, glow, shine, normal, alpha, bump), all the material values (diff*, amb*, emit*, spec*, shininess)… and for the material to be visible in max’s viewport the way it would look in Panda3D (this would be useful even when we have full collada support).

Don’t forget to add Max2011 support :wink:

The exporter can’t currently read custom defined properties as the egger only searches for those defined as collision solid types or collision flag types. I’m not sure of a way to integrate a way to use custom tags quite yet. But I will certainly look into it.

As for the multiple textures and UV’s I believe you can use them currently even on one object, but the names just get numbered as (m1,m2, etc). Try it out when you get a chance and get back to me if that’s possible. I’ll try to test as well.

As for the last part. I agree it is slightly confusing to have to use a Standard Material as a Panda Material equivalent. However, I believe all the options you would need are there, aside from the combine modes of course. I believe this may be something that may need to go into a standalone materials editor. Obviously, this is no small task, but it’s been discussed from time to time. Hope that answers some stuff at least

~Andrew

I don’t know if this new but: in the test I’ve made the the 3dsmax exporter, only one material is exported, if more than one exist in the mesh ( on different part of the mesh)

that’s what really blocking us to use it.

Hrm…are you using a multi-sub-object material on it and assigning the separate materials for individual polygons? If not how are you applying things?

~Andrew