Unable to Create window- direct3dcreate error?

Any time I try to run any of the sample programs i get this error:
Known pipe types:
wdxGraphicsPipe9
wglGraphicsPipe
wdxGraphicsPipe8
wdxGraphicsPipe7
(all display modules loaded.)
:windisplay:wdxdisplay9(error): Direct3DCreate9(9.0) failed!, error=5

They will typically start anyways and seem to work fine, but i can’t use pview, it gives the same error but then
:framework(error): Unable to create window.
right after that error…

I have the current directx 9.0c any idea what’s going on? I’d appreciate any help or ideas :slight_smile: thanks.

I suspect your graphics driver does not support DirectX 9 (even though you have DirectX 9 installed on your machine). It is probably a good idea to update your graphics driver from the web page of your graphics card manufacturer, especially if you have never done this before; the driver that is pre-installed when you buy a PC is very often full of bugs.

But you don’t need to do this to run Panda. The problem is that while the Python startup sequence will automatically fail over to OpenGL if it can’t open a DirectX9 window, the current version of pview does not do this (this will be fixed in a future release). In the meantime, you can work around this yourself just by editing Config.prc and reordering the lines:

aux-display libpandadx9
aux-display libpandagl

So that GL is listed first:

aux-display libpandagl
aux-display libpandadx9

This will also avoid that warning message you see when you start any of the sample apps.

David