Trying this for fun, having issues

Can’t even get the hello world to run, I installed the program, created a blank .py file, copyed the:

from direct.showbase.ShowBase import ShowBase

p3dApp = ShowBase()
p3dApp.run()

Tried to type

ppython filename.py

And get a bunch of random junk, help.

Edit: This is what I’m getting.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "firstscript.py", line 1, in <module>
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 10, in <module>
  File "/Developer/Panda3D/lib/pandac/PandaModules.py", line 8, in <module>
    from libpandaModules import *
  File "/Developer/Panda3D/lib/pandac/libpandaModules.py", line 2, in <module>
    Dtool_PreloadDLL("libpanda")
  File "/Developer/Panda3D/lib/pandac/extension_native_helpers.py", line 79, in Dtool_PreloadDLL
    imp.load_dynamic(module, pathname)
ImportError: dlopen(/Developer/Panda3D/lib/libpanda.dylib, 2): Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /Developer/Panda3D/lib/libpanda.dylib
  Reason: image not found

Hmm, it seems to be saying that the file /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib is missing. Is it? Maybe you need to install X11?

David

Just did :slight_smile:

Well holy crap I didn’t even think about that, I just installed SL and didn’t include X11. Let me try that, dur.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "firstscript.py", line 1, in <module>
  File "dstroot/pythoncode/Developer/Panda3D/lib/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 10, in <module>
  File "/Developer/Panda3D/lib/pandac/PandaModules.py", line 8, in <module>
    from libpandaModules import *
  File "/Developer/Panda3D/lib/pandac/libpandaModules.py", line 2, in <module>
    Dtool_PreloadDLL("libpanda")
  File "/Developer/Panda3D/lib/pandac/extension_native_helpers.py", line 79, in Dtool_PreloadDLL
    imp.load_dynamic(module, pathname)
ImportError: dlopen(/Developer/Panda3D/lib/libpanda.dylib, 2): Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Library/Frameworks/Cg.framework/Cg
  Referenced from: /Developer/Panda3D/lib/libpanda.dylib
  Reason: image not found

Now you need the NVidia CG toolkit. (See this thread.)

David

Sweet I got the Grey Box, got these messages though, are they normal and I can continue with the tutorial?

Known pipe types:
  osxGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
Wed Feb 24 20:47:57 Phil-Hansons-iMac.local ppython[215] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSCopyRegion : Null pointer
Wed Feb 24 20:47:57 Phil-Hansons-iMac.local ppython[215] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

Thanks

I was able to get the panda moving back and forth, I guess that counts for something lol.

Yeah, I’m not sure where those error messages are coming from, but they don’t appear to be causing problems at this point.

David