The Java migration Q&A thread

It was an april fools joke :slight_smile:

It was indeed an April Foolā€™s Joke. Iā€™m surprised that some people still fell for it with the give-aways that we put in the blog post (Perforce repository, paragraph with buzzwords, RFC 2324 hint).

But we got a good laugh out of it. :slight_smile:

Isnā€™t this a joke too??? What a let down of the result for real.

If only my brain as smart as Dennis Ritchie, probably i might create another language with C-like performance combined with language simplicity of Python.
Its only a matter of representation isnā€™t it? Or we can translate the language using an encoder or optimizerā€¦ And then named it as Cyton or Byton or something else :laughing:

Well thatā€™s just an idea :unamused:

Python is indeed extremely slow, step-for-step in comparison with a lower-level language like C++. But it really, honestly, doesnā€™t matter, and the rapidity of development in Python more than makes up for this.

This realization is one of the great epiphanies of the modern computing era, where developer time is generally more valuable than CPU time.

David

if you invest more time in making the program faster eg by using c instead of python then at the time your program is finished the computers already got so much faster your optimization is not needed anymore :wink:

calling c(++) libraries from python programs is almost as fast as python when coding and almost as fast as c(++) when running.
numpy is such a library and you can see quite a difference at the comparison

Nah i better code with python.
Thatā€™s a good news that we donā€™t change it into that Janda3d after all, or else iā€™ll get a stroke after i finish one python panda3D application and then it wouldnā€™t be supported anymore. And it seems that it will be the same stroke if i keep coding with the C++ languageā€¦ probably :slight_smile:

Anyway, keep the user-friendly atmosphere :wink:

I wonder how some people imagined dropping support for C++?

And you canā€™t really say one language is slower then other, its the ā€˜implementationsā€™ that can be slower.

great april joke! i had amazing fun at it. :smiley:

now i can remember me on the name of this very strange programming language, it was called logo, if im not wrong. :smiley:

Once I translated my heavymath python code to 1000+ lines C++ code, I got 700x boost.
In python, it takes 18 secs a pass.
In C++, I can get up to 27 fps by calling it every frame, but itā€™s still faster than that because there is time spent for rendering.

It was my 1st language, and I still have the book here. :laughing:

A joke doesnā€™t have to be funny. It could even be serious, as its purpose : to fool ppl, to make them tremble, if necessary.

So, I was expecting something shocking in addition to dropping C++ & Py, such as : the whole developers do not maintain the code any longer, because CMU sold P3D to M$. :open_mouth:

Maybe next year? :smiling_imp:

No, it has to be bigger than that.

Hello guys,

Iā€™ve just told a friend of mine about the hilarious Janda3D Aprilā€™s fool joke, Panda3D switching to Java, but the page is gone. Why on earth would you remove it? It was soo funny. Me and my friends are Python fans and hate Java. Does anyone have a back-up or print? Google cache, for some reason, doesnā€™t have it any more eitherā€¦

Thanks a lot for any hints.

OK, I put it back.
panda3d.org/blog/?p=138

I initially removed it because I was afraid that some people would take it seriously. I put it back with a warning.

PS. Welcome to the forums!