Strange Error During Shadow Casting

Since I’ve started clean with a new project, I want to use shadows.

I set up one point light (because bumpmapping needs a point) and one spot light (spot light acts as sun).

self.Spot0 = Spotlight('SunShadower');
        self.Spot0.setColor(Vec4(1, 1, 1, 1));
        #self.Spot0.setSpecularColor(Vec4(1, 1, 1, 1));
        self.Spot0.setShadowCaster(True);
        self.Spot0.getLens().setFov(800,600);
        self.Spot0NP = render.attachNewNode(self.Spot0);
        self.Spot0NP.setPos(self.Fem.getX(), self.Fem.getY()-500, self.Fem.getZ()+500);
        render.setLight(self.Spot0NP);
        self.Spot0NP.lookAt(self.Fem);
        self.Fem.setLight(self.Spot0NP);

I get this error in the console -

display:gsg:glgsg(error): at 4992 of C:\panda3d-1.7.0\panda\src\glstuff\glGraphicsStateGuardian_src.cxx: GL error 1281

display(error): Deactivating wglGraphicsStateGuardian.
  • I’m using OpenGL
  • Intel P4 Quad (2.4) 32 bit
  • ATI graphics card

Try upgrading to the latest stable version of Panda3D and also updating your graphics card drivers.

I uninstalled 7.0 and installed 7.2, but now the ppython command is not valid.

Can’t run the engine.

You’re probably running the wrong Python installation. Make sure that you run C:\Panda3D-1.7.2\python\ppython.exe (or whereever your Panda 7.2 installation is), not C:\Panda3D-1.7.0\python\ppython.exe or even C:\Python26\python.exe.

Or what do you mean by “can’t run the engine”? A more concise description may prove helpful.

Panda3D-1.7.0 was setup to run along side the current python installation (2.6), so I didn’t have to type a full path like C:\Panda3D-1.7.0\python\ppython.exe; I could just type ppython app.py and execute.

Panda3D-1.7.2 did not install along side my python26, it installed along side Panda3D-1.7.0. To confirm this, I unistalled Panda3D-1.7.2 and reinstalled Panda3D-1.7.0, and I was able to start the app with ppython app.py again.

P3D installation normally asks if you want to install along side the current installed python, but it seems the installation for Panda3D-1.7.2 does not ask; and I’m guessing this is because Panda3D-1.7.0 already installed along side python26.

I guess the question would be, how to install Panda3D-1.7.2 along side python26 and completely clear out Panda3D-1.7.0, so I can just use ppython app.py with Panda3D-1.7.2?

Windows Vista Home - 32bit

Try to edit the PATH variable to fit your needs (google it if you don’t know where or what it is). Both panda and python install themselves in the system-wide PATH. However, beware: In this variable be dragons. If you just remove every folder that the installation of Panda version 1.7.0 created and add the respective version 1.7.2 folders, you should be good, however.