Stereo rendering to passive polarized display

Hi
I’m trying to find out if I can use passive stereoscopic displays.
These displays use line alternated polarization.
So I should render one camera to the odd lines and the other camera to the even lines.

Is this possible?

From this forum I understand that stereo rendering is possible. I could find some info about stereo cameras. But I can not find documentation about this explaining how to use it.

When using stereo cameras does Panda3D do some smart things so that it will not take twice the time compared to none stereo rendering? I guess that a lot of stuff only has to be done once because left and right camera will point into the same direction and are close to each other.

Hmm, I’m not sure if Panda3D supports this natively, or if GPUs support this at all. You might want to look through the list of configuration variables or the source code to see if there is anything relevant.

I don’t know if GPUs support this in general, though. If so, it may be possible to simply add a relevant OpenGL call or so. I have never tried stereo rendering, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Yeah, Panda does do some smart things to avoid taking double rendering time. For instance, even though there will be two cameras, the cull pass will only be performed once, as you suggested.

I guess you could do this with a clever stencil buffer–rendering two different DisplayRegions into the same space, each with a different stencil parameters crafted to render into the alternate lines.

Or, you could render offscreen to two different buffers, then apply those buffers onscreen with a pair of carefully-crafted meshes that alternated lines. Or render to two faces of a cube map and use a single mesh with carefully-constructed UVW coordinates. Or, use a shader to render the two buffers onscreen in alternate lines.

As long as both DisplayRegions shared the same Camera object, Panda would perform the aforementioned cull optimization.

David