SPE and Panda3D

Hi experts!

Sombody using SPE and Panda3D?

I have a problem installing SPE on Windows.

I have installed Panda3D.

When i try to install SPE i get the following error and cannot install SPE:

“No python installation found in registry”

I have tried both: SPE-0.7.5.c-wx2.6.1.0.-bl2.35-py23.exe and
SPE-0.7.5.c-wx2.6.1.0.-bl2.35-py24.exe

I can read in in the Panda3D directory that i got py23. So i already have python 2.3 installed.

Do you know what to do to get it work?

Panda 1.0.5 uses python 2.2 which may be the source of the problem if spe depends on python 2.3 or later. Also, when you install panda, it doesn’t create any registry keys so it won’t conflict with any current versions of python you already have installed (or so I was told). This means, the python installed with panda won’t be found in the registry. Your best bet is to make sure spe is 2.2 compatible, then install python 2.2 and then spe into that. Then, copy all of the files into your panda directory. You can also wait for Panda 1.1 which should use python 2.4. (if any of this info is incorrect, someone please correct me)

Thank you!

When i run ppython.exe the version 2.2.3 is written in the left corner of the screen.

Well should i then just install python 2.2.3 and thereafter SPE. Of’cause i will then have two copies of python (in panda3d and somewhare else).

What do you think? Is it possible to run panda3d/python from the SPE-program?

Im not sure what files to copy into the Panda-directory?

Again thanks…

So, its ok to have a version of python other than ppython. I have two copies of python on my computer (panda’s version and “normal” python 2.2). You just need to make sure you keep track of which python copy is being used by what.

If you want to run panda’s python from SPE, you would probably need to make sure that SPE has some reference of panda’s python instead of any other python versions you have (which you would have used to install SPE). This would mean editing registry keys, which is probably why SPE was complaining in the first place. I wouldn’t recommend editing the registry this unless you are comfortable doing so. You might be able to edit your .py files in SPE and then run your script using ppython from the command line. This seems to be the usual way of doing things.

Either way, I now don’t think it matters where SPE is actually located meaning you probably wont have to copy anything over. You would either change registry keys or run from the command line. But I would probably check the install log just to make sure. If anything gets copied into the directory of the non-panda version of python, I would copy that into the corresponding panda/python directory.

I tryed to use SPE also…

Basically what i managed to do was:

install panda,
install Python 2.4
install SPE in Pythong 2.4

use SPE to edit python prgrammes with all nice SPE features.

run the panda programm from a .bat script in my window toolbar.
(Never managed to launch them from SPE, never tried a lot also…)

Hi,
This might work:

1. Do a full python2.2 install (www.python.org)
  2. Install a wxPython version compatible with python2.2 (www.wxpython.org)
  3. The last version of SPE requires wxPython2.5.4.1, which probably doesn’t exist for python2.2 An older version of SPE will work for sure with Python2.2:
    projects.blender.org/frs/?group_id=30

If you want to launch SPE within Panda3D make sure that the spe directory and wxPython directory are inside sys.path. With the latest SPE you can than do:

import _spe

and spe will start.

But one of you will have to figure out which wxPython release, etc…

Good luck!

Stani

pythonide.stani.be
pythonide.stani.be/manual/html/manual.html

Ok this whole thread was confusing to me. I installed panda3d 1.0.05 back in July but have not really had a chance to use it other then the demos. I have both SPE 0.7.5 and 0.8.1 in my machine with the full install of python 2.3 and python 2.4. Older blender scripts require py2.3 and the newer once for blender version 2.4 require py2.4 that is why I have both in seperate folders.

In any case can somone give a step by step set of instructions for getting SPE to work with Panda3d. Not just editing but being able to compile and run your SPE composed code and being able to debug it from within SPE.

Ok this whole thread was confusing to me. I installed panda3d 1.0.05 back in July but have not really had a chance to use it other then the demos. I have both SPE 0.7.5 and 0.8.1 in my machine with the full install of python 2.3 and python 2.4. Older blender scripts require py2.3 and the newer once for blender version 2.4 require py2.4 that is why I have both in seperate folders.

In any case can somone give a step by step set of instructions for getting SPE to work with Panda3d. Not just editing but being able to compile and run your SPE composed code and being able to debug it from within SPE.

Hi,

My suggestion would be to visit the SPE website and take a look at the installation instructions:

stani.be/python/spe

You should realize that Panda3d comes with its own version of Python 2.4 already configured to run Panda scripts.

It is possible to use another version of Python outside of the Panda3d version, but you’ll need to configure things so it will find everything it needs from the Panda3d distribution.

The Panda3d version of Python does come with the IDLE IDE if I’m not mistaken so that is available if your just looking for an IDE to use with Panda3d.

Steve

Yeah I tried idle a few years ago and did not like it. I think the tk/tcl code just ran too slow for my machine. In anycase I am use to SPE now so I guess I will bug Stani (the author of SPE) to see if he can integrate the two.

IDLE may have changed since the last time you looked at it though. They made a fork of the IDLE code and made improvements on it so it’s not the same as it used to be, but yes, it still uses Tk.

I can understand though getting used to another environment.

If you can find a version of SPE with the required libraries already compiled, you should be able to just transplant them from the Python 2.4 version outside your Panda3d distribution into the Python that comes with Panda3d. I really haven’t looked into SPE that much but I think you need some extra stuff like wxPython etc… so it may not be that easy.

You could use the Python outside of Panda3d to run your Panda3d scripts. You just need to configure the environment variables so it knows where the Panda3d directories are and stuff like that.

Steve

hi, first i’d say that i’ pretty new to panda3d and my english is not well.
i also have tried spe with panda3d. to work with spe and panda3d you should
copy the file panda.pth from the python directory in panda3d directory and than you should edit the path within this file that is all.
after you can run your panda3d application from spe.

cOtOc

i’ve forgotten: i use python 2.4.2 and panda3d-1.1.0

i would like also to ask to the expert if someone of you could know how to implement or modify spe so you could have autocomplete like visual studio 2005 express. it would be very helpful.

thanks

cOtOc

hi, all.
i should modify my first reply: so ind the installation folder of panda3d
(C:\Panda3d-1.1.0\Python) you can find the file panda.path. this file you have to copy or remove to the extern Python-installation-folder (C:\Python24). Than modify the panda.pth file so:
C:/Panda3D-1.1.0
C:/Panda3D-1.1.0/bin
that is all. up to now you can run you panda-app in spe.

cOtOc