- Some tools - updated 25/07/08 -

Aah, fair enough - I misunderstood, then. My mistake. :slight_smile:

I look forward to seeing the next iteration of the list. :slight_smile:

Hmmmmā€¦ mind making the first post a bit more structured?

Having a brainstorming on free and good useable tools might indeed be worth a sticky. :slight_smile:

Regards, Bigfoot29

Wow, jus wow, what a load of tool ya have here.

I think you should really add MakeHuman. Stick it with this tut on how to export what you do on it to blender and it makes a pretty good tool

makehuman.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=167

I just started on this thing of game developing and models creation, and might use this program to do my models and then export em to blender to add the finishing touches.

They should make this thread a stick one, this are a must for every begginer developer eager to start fast

The main pb with tools like make humain or ivy trre generator is that they are very usefull for rendering not for real time game.

This are the main reason why i donā€™t add them to the first list :wink:

I continue to work on the list :wink:

Why is makehuman not useful for real-time? :open_mouth: First of all, it can create wonderful human models. I am going to use their faces as they are in games. I have an idea of a game where each character will get older during the game, and makehuman faces are absolutely the best for that. Then, you can make a detailed shape of body, and create excellent low-poly bodies (I even saw tutorials on making clothes for makehuman meshes and low-poly modeling based on makehuman mesh).
No, sorry, makehuman must be in Best Tools for Game Development Ever list :slight_smile:

Also, you didnā€™t mention ngPlant. This is excellent tool for creating both low-poly and high-poly trees. You can also create lod versions for each tree. It also supports billboards useful for low-poly tree modeling.

ZeroByte mentioned musagi on another thread. I havenā€™t tried it yet, but if it does what I think it does, this would be a very good tool for the list.

I continue my list by i canā€™t keep this info.

TRUESPACE 7.6 IS FREE !!!

Go download it.
itā€™s the easiest 3D modeling tool with wings3D i know.
But you could do ALL YOU WANT and ALL YOU NEED with it !!!

The interface is a little special but really really smart to use not like blender.
Just follow the vido tutorial of it of those of gamespace (a limited version of truepsace now for game).

YAHOU !!!

I downloaded Truespace to give it a try. For modeling, I think Iā€™ll stick with Blender. Itā€™s just too slow to build something decent in Truespace- at least thatā€™s what it feels like.

I am amazed though at the shaders that Truespace uses. Iā€™ve never seen shaders integrated the way they are in the Truespace. The problem is that I havenā€™t figured out a way to export them such that they would work in Panda3D. Anyone know how to do this?

Iā€™m racking my brain out!!! Iā€™m trying to figure out how you used tree[d] and imported the models into your panda3d scene ahhhhh I can export fine but it never looks like it did when you make it in tree[d] and what I mean by that is that is puts the textures on the ā€˜leafsā€™ but it doesnt ignore the background stuff and places it ontop of a white plane ā€¦grrr not only does it show the leaves but it also renders a white plane where the leaves were only supposed to be in other words all renderings of the plant look like it has the leaves plus a white plane which is ugle the only program that displays it correctly is milkshapeā€¦i think the thing is doing something/loosing the alpha maps for the textures b/c when you look at the channels of the textures you see that there is an original image then on the alpha channel all you see is the leaves

the problem is the X file generated.

X2EGG is bit too ā€œstrictā€ with the format.

The X file is an format that life and mute a little with the type :wink:
Lot of option and new key_name are added.

Actually the x2egg donā€™t support all of that.
You need to export in b3d (or X a least) and use first an other tool like blender to import it and then export it again in panda with chicken pluging.

The pipeline part of Panda isn"t the most easiest but the engine so isnā€™t a too big problem at all :wink:

We tried to make x2egg follow the X file spec exactly as laid out by Microsoft. Can you clarify what precisely it fails to handle? Can you give me a sample X file?

David

As i say on :
discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=4702

the ā€œmodernā€ version of X file is really ā€œspecialā€ on some way.
Lot of new key_name for specifie actual need for game and engine.

Your work on x2egg is really good.
As you say you really follow the official and started spec by Microsoft (i suppose the v1.13 of the 13 january 2007).
The problem is that in general exporter of lot of 3D tools donā€™t export or respect the spec as you :stuck_out_tongue:

So when we try to convert it with x2egg in general we cannot do it because of the rigid follow of the spec.

For exemple if you export a tree with Tree[d] that have some not really good export you cannot read it easily.

An other exemple wuth TrueSpace 7.6 he generate really really good X file but with x2egg actually texture and normal map arenā€™t well generated in the egg file.

Do you want different X file to try ?

actually even blender cannot import the x file generated by tree[d] and not just on my system either Iā€™ve tried several other operating systems and they all have the same error code when importing the x file it says theirs a scripting error in the x file and python cannot import it! plus if i could only find a good x importer for maya ;( thats free

when I saw all the tools I cried(really). THATā€™S HORRIBLY AMAZING!

too bad there isnt adaptive direct x aka .x import!

Haha thx.

I continue to work on the list to have a better and suitable form.
I just lose some time cause of real life problem (lot of work, my wife broke is leg and we have found the we will have an baby, and lot of other things that let me not a lot of time for now :wink:) but the project continue :wink:

Just a note to say gile[s] is now free.

I was about to make that comment, that gile[s] is now free. Iā€™ve been using that for years (with other engines, Iā€™m new to Panda) and it is by far the best lightmapping tool there is.

On that note, is it easy to use scenes lightmapped in gile[s] with Panda? What exactly is the procedure (hopefully just open the b3d in Blender to export as egg)? I donā€™t see lightmapping mentioned in the manual.

Oh, and great list! I only knew about half of those previously. I actually keep a big list of tools useful for game developers, do you want me to email you the file?

Excellent list of tools, keep it up.