Some questions I'd like to ask before I start on my project

Well, I’ve decided I’m going to start learning some game programming and make a 3D Contragame! Hopefully having shadowmapping, HDR and all those shiney features Panda has to offer : ).

Well, here are the 3 things I want to ask before I get launch up though:
-What is the process of implementing advanced physics (Ragdoll and such)? Also, new to the python world how well/difficult would PyOde be to cram in :laughing:.

-Audio in python has me a tad confused, I see panda uses FMOD which I don’t like (I’m a LGPL/BSD freak, don’t shun me yet : P), Can I (This is a really bad question…) make a call to maybe the Irrklang or Audiere DLLs?

-Why is the panda wearing a hat in the logo?

That’s all : ). Hope to get development on really soon.

Try using pyOpenAL.

To look cool :smiling_imp:

Hello :slight_smile:

ynjh_jo has written some good demos on how to use PyODE with Panda3D, just search the forum.

The process of implementing physics with a 3D engine is almost the same everywhere: let the 3D engine create a visual representation (aka Panda3d NodePath), then let the physics engine create a physical object (aka body). Each frame make the physics engine simulate all bodies, and then update the transformations of all visual representations (get the transform from the body object).

Ragdolls: as far as I know ODE has no built-in support for ragdolls. This means you have to create them yourself using collision primitives (boxy, sphere, capsules) and joints (ball & socket). For a good example on how to implement ragdolls by hand have a look at the OgreNewt examples in the “python-ogre” bindings. It should be easy to migrate the code to PyODE. Newton does have built-in ragdolls, but I don’t have a working example on how to use them in my Newton bindings.

enn0x