[SOLVED] Installation problem on Gentoo Linux

I’m attempting to install Panda3D on Gentoo, but I am receiving a compilation error early on.

[  7%] Building C++ object built/tmp/express_composite1.o
In file included from panda/src/express/virtualFileMountMultifile.h:21,
                 from panda/src/express/config_express.cxx:25,
                 from panda/src/express/express_composite1.cxx:3:
panda/src/express/multifile.h:103: error: ‘STACK’ has not been declared
In file included from panda/src/express/express_composite1.cxx:19:
panda/src/express/multifile.cxx:806: error: ‘STACK’ has not been declared
panda/src/express/multifile.cxx: In member function ‘bool Multifile::add_signature(X509*, int*, EVP_PKEY*)’:
panda/src/express/multifile.cxx:812: error: cannot convert ‘int*’ to ‘const _STACK*’ for argument ‘1’ to ‘int sk_num(const _STACK*)’
panda/src/express/multifile.cxx:814: error: cannot convert ‘int*’ to ‘const _STACK*’ for argument ‘1’ to ‘void* sk_value(const _STACK*, int)’
panda/src/express/multifile.cxx: In member function ‘int Multifile::validate_signature_certificate(int) const’:
panda/src/express/multifile.cxx:1134: error: ‘STACK’ was not declared in this scope
panda/src/express/multifile.cxx:1134: error: ‘stack’ was not declared in this scope

My thought is that maybe it has something to do with the version of GCC it is using to build with (gcc-4.4.3), but I am unaware of what versions are supported for the build.

If not that, does anyone know what the problem would be?

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Yeah, the 1.7.0 source code is incompatible with recent versions of OpenSSL (1.0.0+). However, this has been fixed in the latest CVS head of Panda3D. Please check out the latest CVS version of Panda3D, the issue should be fixed there.

It seems to be building, which is more than 1.7.0 and 1.6.2 were doing. I’ll post again if something fails.

Alright, panda seems to have built and installed fine. I attempted to build the C++ hello world in the manual using Code::Blocks as my IDE. I followed this guide, changing the actual paths as necessary. While the project built fine, it won’t run. The error it returns is:

./Panda3D_Test: error while loading shared libraries: libp3direct.so.1.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any clue why it can’t find the libraries?

You have to put the directory containing those libraries on your LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or add them to your ld.so.conf)

I got it working. Now I just learn and experiment. Thanks for the help.