[SOLVED] Importing Bullet

Hi all,
I’m new to coding with Panda and wanted to try physics simulation. I read through the manual and found Bullet or maybe PhysX to best suit my needs, as the internal physics engine appears to be incomplete and ODE appears to require my code to keep the render world and the physics world in sync manually. However, unfortunately Bullet support seems to not be included into Panda before version 1.8.0 and I found no documentation on how to use PhysX.

Well, I understood that I will have to build the Bullet support myself. (If I don’t need to, a pointer in the right direction would be much appreciated). I unpacked the r17 source and ran “python waf configure”, which gave me the following error:

Setting top to                           : C:\Users\John\Desktop\libpandabullet-r17 
Setting out to                           : C:\Users\John\Desktop\libpandabullet-r17\built 
Checking for program python              : C:\Python26\python.exe 
Checking for python version              : (2, 6, 4, 'final', 0) 
Checking for waf version in 1.6.1-1.7.0  : ok 
Checking for program CL                  : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\BIN\x86_amd64\CL.exe 
Checking for program CL                  : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\BIN\CL.exe 
Checking for program CL                  : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\BIN\amd64\CL.exe 
msvc: Impossible to find a valid architecture for building (in setup_msvc)
(complete log in C:\Users\John\Desktop\libpandabullet-r17\built\config.log)

I don’t understand this: The build tool searchs for various versions of the MSVC compiler, that is obvious. But I don’t get why it then claims to not be able to find a valid architecture, since every single of the paths in that the build tool searchs for the CL.exe exists!

I uploaded the config.log to pastebin: pastebin.com/gPxRN7LG

If you could help me to compile the Bullet engine so I can use it with Panda and Python I’d be grateful. If you would tell me that I don’t even need to compile or even use it, I would be even more grateful :slight_smile:[/url]

Have you tried just downloading the sdk snapshot builds? I maybe mistaken, but bullet should be prebuilt in the latest snapshots.

Thanks, I’m downloading them now. I’ll still appreciate any help, though - using an unstable developer version of the engine scares me.

Actually, it’s pretty stable. I use it all of the time :stuck_out_tongue: If you find any bugs, please let us know.

Yup, I tried it and it worked great :slight_smile: Thanks!
I’ll mark this as solved.

Hey- is there any chance you could post a link to the snapshot build of Bullet for Panda 1.7.2?

The Panda3D Bullet module can’t be compiled with Panda3D 1.7.2, since it depends on features introduced to Panda3D after the 1.7.2 release. You have to use the snapshot builds (daily builds of the most current source code).

Look at the top of this site. There is a navigation menu. Follow: “Download” --> “SDK” --> “devel”, then choose your platform.

i have panda 1.7.2 installed but as bullets doesn’t work with it i downloaded the latest snapshot build.What i want to know is,“Do i have to uninstall the panda 1.7.2 to use the new build?”

Yes. It is always good to clean up before doing something new.

For the record, you don’t strictly need to use the latest snapshot build to use Bullet, you can also use 1.8.0. But it doesn’t matter much.

thank you guys