[SOLVED] (how to?) cartoony water

Thanks for the link, now I understand it completely (**/+ thingy).

Tell me more…
PS. Doing splash particles now

Er, not even close. When you have this code:

foo.find('**/+SequenceNode').node()

“foo” is a NodePath that points to a PandaNode. This PandaNode can have many sub-nodes, and those can have sub-nodes too, etc.
A PandaNode can have different types, it could be a GeomNode (containing geometry), or a SequenceNode, etc.
foo.find(‘/something’) returns a NodePath pointing to a node called “something” somewhere below the ‘foo’ node.
foo.find('
/+SequenceNode’) returns a NodePath pointing to the first node it can find of the type SequenceNode.
So now you have a NodePath pointing to the SequenceNode. You can now simply retrieve the SequenceNode itself by calling node().

I was close :wink:
EDIT: Back to topic: can I parent a node(path) to another node(path) but keep some values independant (say, x location)?

Er, a NodePath itself does not contain any NodePaths. A NodePath is just a handle to an underlying PandaNode, which indeed contains many PandaNodes, and one of those might be a SequenceNode.

You can use wrtReparentTo() to reparent a node to another node while the net transformation stays the same. Don’t call it too often, though, as you lose a bit of precision by calling it.

Okay, I get it now (finally…)

what is that?
Okay here is the case:
When Panda enters water and moves the lead wave is loaded
, lead wave follows the Pandas x,y and rotations, but z should always be ‘waterplane.getZ + 0.01’. I could rotate the lead wave model with the Panda model and move it with Panda model by adding those commands in the respective functions, or use a Task like below, if there isnt a cleaner way.

When will i need to call it that much? I don’t think wrt is what I need here.

@treeform:

Is this what you mean? panda3d.org/apiref.php?page=Rope

I have a few little issues as well. gonna update post with screen shot if not they will probably be solved :slight_smile:

I kinda forgot about this topic.
When I decided to continue today, I found out that I had accidentally removed the source with old panda version :frowning:
At least I had a backup of the media files

its been almost a year, cant say this topic isnt solved, but I just cant figure out how they did the waves on shore thing. I thought it was 2 textures on quad with MAdd mode with their UVs animated, but i can get the same look:

Do you think they used shaders?

why not simply have an animated texture which has the shore on one side and water on the other?

shore+ (shore&water animated) + water

propably the easiest sollution.

What do you mean?

I get the part about animated textures. But wont that be too resource demanding if you render about 50 of them on screen?

why 50? it’s just one texture. the entire shore seems like a “band” of geometry with the same texture repeating, so you’ll get a way with one geom + one animated texture.

No, I mean its tiled, that can slow things down.

this is how i thing it is modelled:

A question on how to create the textures. For example the wet sand part:

I thought of something like this:

Since Im pretty sure the ocean is a big blue quad, or filled circle, then some parts can be transparent.
The red part is where ocean intersects with ground, but that wont work when animated… Hm, maybe the “fully transparent” part should actually be colored. Ill have to disable lightning on them and change material color for the time of the day instead.

Um, you use Blender too, right? Any ideas on how to actually make this?? The only thing I could think about were shadeless metaballs or something, but it didnt work.
heres the wave png I made:
i54.tinypic.com/10elh8w.png
(its white and transparent, so maybe you wont see anything with firefox)

maybe displace modifier will help?

i’d take the texture you drew and animate it. no transparency, no “red line” , no border. creating a shore-geometry (completely static), apply the animated texture. it doesnt matter if the texture is tiled or not.
the geometry in question could look like this.

so in the end you have your island geometry, the shore geometry+water and the water itself. nice, clean, fast sollution. all you need to do is animate the texture.

well, what we meant was pretty similar, but anyway, thats how im going to do it now.

So… any ideas on how to make the textures? I know this isnt a panda question, but still