[Solved] Applying a Texture to a .X or an EGG

Before I start…

I have spent the ENTIRE day today poring over the the docs and this forum … and the Blender Docs … and the Milkshape docs.

I can’t do this and Im ready to take up goat farming instead of coding…

I have a relatively unmodified version of Ralph I have been playing with as a example. I have loaded a couple of other models from milkshape and directx models converted to EGG with varying sucess. About 10 am this morning I began my odyssey of trying to texture a simple sphere from scratch and place it in the scene.

I have tried at least 50 different varieties. All I can manage is a white sphere. The texture does not get mapped to the sphere with .X files being called directly or with .EGG!

I have read everything I can find. I have pressed the magic blender button to draw normals and they ARE pointing to the outside.

I have placed the texture in the same folder when I tried the “x2egg” conversions. I have even made sure I exported to .X and to .EGG into folders where there were alreadt a .JPG and a .BMP version of the texture. I have looked at the texture with 3 different imaging programs to make sure it isnt bad.

I have no dashes in my file names.

all my filenames are lowercase.

The Panda3d command window does not generate any error message.

the x2egg and the exportations do not give any error message.

Now, as a clue… and I dont know a bunch about blender…when I render, the texture shows up fine… but I cannot get it to display the texture at all if I tell blender to display the view in textured mode.

I dont know if that means anything or not, but im getting ready to go back to Microsoft Paint.

Thanks

when using blender. make shure you use the uv-editor to unwrapp AND apply texture there.
!!the current exporters dosnt care about blender materials!!
if you see a textured model in you blender fiewport you can go on and export it.
the same model can show up white in a blender rendering but as long as its ok in the editor viewports it sould be exported correctly.

when using the X-exporter -> make shure you have a short texture name. if it’s too long it will be cut off and the textur wont be found (can be fixed with manual edit of the x-file)

if you still have trouble with textures look at the egg exporter thread for blender. i think someone wrote a tutorial on unwrapping and texturing. but any blender tutorial should do.

Greybeard’s LSCM UV Mapping video tutorial is the best UV texture mapping tutorial I’ve seen for Blender.

blender3d.org/cms/Model_Mate … 397.0.html

Thank you for your quick replies…

I will look at the tutorial, but since this is an object that I am creating in Blender, I dont see the point of “unwrapping” - I thought this was reserved for models you IMPORT into Blender?

you definetly need to unwrap ANYTHING- if you want to have it coloured. well you dont need if it’s already done :wink: but it usualy isnt when you create a new object. exporters just export, but usualy dont do the unwrapping.

try adding a cube in blender, open the uv-editor, switch to uv-edit mode, select the whole model and load a texture in the uv editor… then export. you should already see a textured cube when loading with panda.

for everything more have to propperly unwrap it.
blenders uv-tools are top-notch and you should be able to unwrap even komplex objects in minutes once you know how stuff works.

good luck with you work=) dont worry, it’ll work :slight_smile:

OK… thanks. Im used to just using Spherical mapping in 3D studio and such.

Thanks for all your help.

I did finally get it working and the Blender UV Tutorial was a big help.

I found a couple of other problems that were getting in my way (which I have worked around). One of the blender exports does not accurately export the texture filenames. My folder name started with an “r” and the exporter was using the “” instead of the “/” and we all know what a “\r” will do!!!

But again, I got past that and am moving forward again.

I’ll be back with more stupid questions later!

I’m sure i’m not the only one who wants to know which one that is…

I found (and this is just my experience) that the one by the BLENDEGG TEAM has the problem. In windows, it uses the “” instead of “/” which means that Panda will interpret the path incorrectly.