SoCal Panda Programmer Needed

Hello, we’re located in Orange County, CA and are looking for a Panda3D / Python programmer in Southern California. If you or someone you know might be interested, please PM me for more information.

I think you will have better luck if you post details about job.

Also, any reason to hire people that are near you?
Good thing about programming is that it can be done from home :slight_smile:

That’s why I’m glad I built up my programming mind years ago. Started in the 90s, so I can pretty much do anything I want to do when programming an application. As long as I have a clear understanding of all the APIs involved, I can write major code in my head in just a matter of seconds.

One thing I learned a long time ago… You can’t really teach someone how to program. You can only show them the basic concepts that every programming language is built on (most of them). After that, one must find their own comfortable style of programming; which is why programming style is different from programmer to programmer.

Usually there is several ways to accomplish a certain effect or task within an application’s AI. Which way is chosen doesn’t matter as long as the job gets done with a minimum of code. I remember a web buddy of mine from way back that was using a low level C just like I was at the time, but the way we did things were slightly different, but yet the same.

For instance,

If I typed this:

{

if (xds45.getSpd() < 0)
	xds45.spd = 0;
	armorSet[0] = 1;

}
else{

if (xds45.getSpd() > 10)
	xds45.spd = 7;
	armorSet[0] = 0;

}

My bud would of typed it like,

if (xds45.getSpd() < 0){
xds45.spd = 0;
armorSet[0] = 1;
}
else{
if (xds45.getSpd() > 10)
xds45.spd = 7;
armorSet[0] = 0;
}

The code is the same and does the same thing even though the structure is slightly different. That’s like a python coder typing…

else:
	if character.speed < 0:
		character.speed = 0;

While someone else might type…

elif character.speed < 0:
	character.speed = 0;

One thing I do not like to do is mess with other people’s coding. To do so would be to peer into someone’s mind and some minds are messy inside. :open_mouth:

I’m a real clean programmer, so anyone can read my coding and determine everything I’m doing. I even leave notes throughout my code work. Just a good habit of mine I picked up long ago. :slight_smile:

All in all, practice do make perfect. When I first started programming I gave up for an entire year or so. That’s because I didn’t understand the basic concepts. When I tried again, and took more time to learn (moving slowly), I was able to get the basic concepts down packed and I just exploded from that point on.

(Although I didn’t know about the “load on the fly” concept and caught memory management hell on my first app. I learned the concept a couple of months later :blush: )

When I go to different forums on the net, where younger individuals are getting into game design, I find a lot of them having code issues. They’re even attempting to copy and paste someone else’s code into their programs. :astonished:

That’s crazy. All you’re doing is talking (or passing) to the CPU when you code. You’re just giving it a set of detailed instructions on how to do something exactly the way you want it done and how to deal with exceptions. In fact, you should be able to read your code back to yourself and understand it just as if someone was telling you how to do something.

That’s easier to do when you build your programming mind (with practice) and write your own code, from your own wonderful mind. Although example code can help at times, but I wouldn’t copy and example and try to use it directly.

“Chit”… I stopped looking at examples long ago. If I ask for example code in the forums, it’s because I’m being lazy. :laughing:

But it could be the fact I’m still learning Panda’s APIs too, so I may run into what I call a lack of Panda API knowledge. I’ve even seen some Panda members post up API info that was not in the manual (or API doc) and probably wouldn’t find it anywhere else…but they had it in their head.

Members like that I consider “Panda Elders.” :laughing:

Waaayy “Kewl!”

Regards