shadow mapping ...'again' ( 1.6 problem)

It is indeed a bug, and I haven’t been able to track it down yet, after weeks of searching.

In the meantime, you can use PandaSystem.get* to query the version number of Panda3D…

The code for the Fireflies sample in the 1.7.0 distribution exhibits the same issue SylHar mentioned in his post. The sample as it currently stands uses DepthStencil and doesn’t work; modifying the sample to use DepthComponent fixes it.

I believe the problem here is that in the current GL code there’s a bit of confusion surrounding the handling of depth-stencil buffers. A depth-stencil contains both a depth buffer and a stencil buffer, and since Panda also offers the choice of a standalone depth buffer the logic for binding things properly gets a bit tricky.

I’ve improved the logic in the GL code so that the Fireflies sample works with either DepthComponent or DepthStencil. This change also fixes issues with the Advanced and NoShader shadow-mapping samples, both of which don’t work with the current 1.7 builds due to depth buffer issues, and will probably fix SylHar’s issue as well.

The patch for my modifications is available here:
http://www.rococomedia.com/pub/depth_stencil.patch

–jonah

All right, I’ve committed your patch. Thank you so much, you did an awesome job!

I picked it up for the next release, 1.7.1.

Thanks 11thPenguin! This helps a lot of people around.